This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Forward lunges vs reverse lunges

Started by Edoardo Cagnola, January 7, 2016 · 4 Replies · 227 Views

Edoardo Cagnola

Why did Coach choose specifically forward lunges over reverse lunges? Does it actually matter?

I find the latter easier on my knees when going relatively heavy (I'm now @75% of my bodyweight, which is around 140lb). That's because in order to keep my shins relatively vertical when lunging forward I have to take huuuge steps, which is very non-practical to do with a barbell on my shoulders. If I take just " regular long steps" my knees will track way over my foot, resulting in a lot of stress on my patella (from my basic understanding of anatomy. Please correct me if this is dead wrong).

Coach Sommer

Forward is easier to monitor when working with a group of athletes. Start here and finish over there.

Greatly reduces the attempted 'cheat factor' and helps to circumvent those who are mathematically challenged and unable to properly count their reps. ;)

Reverse are also fine when training individually.

Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer

p.s. Who cares if your shins are vertical? Knees track forward of the feet all the time in athletics. This is what they were designed to do.

Alessandro Mainente

Forward variation is also my preferred version.

the reason is simply that all the people when attempting the reverse lunge they are used to move the shoulders backward to shift the center of gravity in a comfortable position, this will lead to arched back.

 

on the other side if you move forward you tend to hold the  spine a little bit curled/flexed. this position is optimal to pre-stretch the glutes.

that's not a case that my clients feel the reverse variation on hamstring and quads, while the forward variation leads to the impossibility to sit correctly on the toilet in the following days.

Edoardo Cagnola

Thanks Coach and guys, I couldn't hope for better responses. I'm going to keep working on the forward lunges and throw some reverse ones from time to time just to switch it up.

Ps. Alessandro is totally right. Today is the day after and I can definitely feel it in my booty :)

Edoardo Cagnola

Just a little update. Since this post I've always done forward lunges, but today I wanted to try the reverse ones. I now understand the difference in muscles worked, the stress on the quads felt much greater. But I have to admit, my booty took a beating too!