This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Road To Pullover RC/PE16 - Tips Please!

Started by Alessandro Di Sanzo, January 3, 2016 · 15 Replies · 524 Views

Alessandro Di Sanzo

Hello guys!

For the next year I would like to start to work on Pullover. But it looks like firstly I have to understand the proper movement I should do. Something goes wrong as I turn around the bar.

Here are two videos.

 

video 1:

 

video 2:

 

 

In a previous attempt, done two days ago,  I crashed with my head on the ground, and it was not at all funny! Thank godness I wanted to try on a low bar!

In these two videos I asked my friend to spot me, and I have to thank him if I am still alive, I guess! :D I tried other times but still the same result. I don't get where should I fix the movement.

 

In the first video my body is blocked in that position and I can't turn my wrists, and lift up torso... In the second one someting goes wrong with the momentum: my legs go up, instead down...

It looks like in both videos I can't lower my legs once my hips are over the bar... is that the problem?

 

Maybe there is a fear issue too, but I guess there is something to fix about the techinique.

Where am I wrong? Could you please give me some tips in order to master properly this movement without risks? Something like a step by step exercises in order to be more confident and understand better the movement...

Please give me some tips!

Thanks to all!

Alessandro

 

 

 

 

 

Cole Dano

It's actually quite simple, don't rest your legs on the bar, your center of gravity will be in the wrong place so you can't get around. You need to get your torso to the bar.

 

It looks like you have a comparatively long torso which makes this even more critical. I had a dickens of a time with these at first for the same reason. 

 

For me the trick was to realise that the direction of pull also changes as you go over the top, you don't pull up any longer but horizontally (i.e. in the direction of your body). This was key to getting my torso on the bar and not legs.

 

Your actual pull into the pullover is excellent so once you work out this technical bit you'll have it in no time.

 

The other tip I'd give you, is don't do these assisted, it won't help you figure out the motion.

Ravn

Just pull the bar a little further, 5 cm, so that it lands above your hip bone, not in the hip crease between torso and legs. That'll fix your balance and make your torso rise and tour legs drop.

Alessandro Di Sanzo
Cole Dano said:

It's actually quite simple, don't rest your legs on the bar, your center of gravity will be in the wrong place so you can't get around. You need to get your torso to the bar.

 

It looks like you have a comparatively long torso which makes this even more critical. I had a dickens of a time with these at first for the same reason. 

 

For me the trick was to realise that the direction of pull also changes as you go over the top, you don't pull up any longer but horizontally (i.e. in the direction of your body). This was key to getting my torso on the bar and not legs.

 

Your actual pull into the pullover is excellent so once you work out this technical bit you'll have it in no time.

 

The other tip I'd give you, is don't do these assisted, it won't help you figure out the motion.

 

 

Ravn said:

Just pull the bar a little further, 5 cm, so that it lands above your hip bone, not in the hip crease between torso and legs. That'll fix your balance and make your torso rise and tour legs drop.

 

Mmm, it makes sense!! I think I've got what you mean!

Thanks a lot for your tips!! Maybe the next time I will work on it more safely! I hope to post an updated video soon!

Thnaks again!

Cole Dano

Safety wise, you've nothing to worry about, if you get stuck just roll forward, the same way you came in.

Murray Truelove

Starting from the L-sit might be your problem, in the course video it looks like a bit of momentum is used as the athlete goes into an L from hollow.

Gavin S

Yes, a little momentum will help. When you get it once you'll never have a problem again.

Alessandro Di Sanzo

Hi guys! I post a few attempts done in these days! I tried to follow your tips as much as I can!

I think a bit better then before, but it's still a work in progress :D .

 

 

I still need someone spotting me, but of course I aim to do that on my own as soon as possible, just like Cole suggested!

 

 

Cole Dano

The first guy was over-spotting you!

 

The second guy, the first two sets looked good, third you obviously fatigued a bit.

 

But basically, if you can do the same as those two good sets, you really should drop the spotter. Ok you may not make it over, but you're not going to figure out that last little bit being spotted like that. It helps get you comfortable with going around the bar, but you're there now.

 

It is going to be harder doing these from the floor, so you may gas out sooner, but from what I see you can do at least one if you stick with it for a week or two.

 

Also during this phase, make sure to maintain your pulling by doing some mastery sets of earlier elements.

LateStarter@46
Cole Dano said:

...

Also during this phase, make sure to maintain your pulling by doing some mastery sets of earlier elements.

This. Very Important!

Alessandro Di Sanzo

Absolutely, I've been keeping RC/PE15 with coupled mobility as main work. Pullover attempts are just set as extra work! :) As I will ready I will move on RC/PE16 once for all! ;)

thanks again Cole for your suggestions!

Rayne-William

Granted I am still working on the progression. For me... passing through a single bar inverted hang as I complete, a partial rep, inverted upright row helped me out.

I, currently, find myself piking a little bit at the waist to help get my feet over the bar. While inverted I have to pull the bar close to my belly button.

Compared to thinner bars, thicker bars make the progression a little bit easier.

Coach Sommer

 Most beginners tend to only pull their toes over to horizontal and then attempt to sit the torso up by doing a back extension.

 

While entertaining, this is incorrect and will always fail.

 

In order to sit up, it is important to press the toes down to the floor and allow the legs to continue to drop down as the torso elevates.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer 

Mark Collins

I like the cue of pressing the toes to the floor. Once I fatigue I extend the back to get up. Very entertaining

Alessandro Mainente
11 hours ago, Coach Sommer said:

 Most beginners tend to only pull their toes over to horizontal and then attempt to sit the torso up by doing a back extension.

 

While entertaining, this is incorrect and will always fail.

 

In order to sit up, it is important to press the toes down to the floor and allow the legs to continue to drop down as the torso elevates.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer 

feet on the floor...nice mental advice for my kids!!

Alessandro Di Sanzo

 

On 12/2/2016 at 9:35 PM, Coach Sommer said:

 Most beginners tend to only pull their toes over to horizontal and then attempt to sit the torso up by doing a back extension.

 

While entertaining, this is incorrect and will always fail.

 

In order to sit up, it is important to press the toes down to the floor and allow the legs to continue to drop down as the torso elevates.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer 

 

On 13/2/2016 at 9:27 AM, Alessandro Mainente said:

feet on the floor...nice mental advice for my kids!!

Too bad that I had ACL surgery, I think I was close to conquer the proper form! :(

Toes to the floor, as Coach and Alessandro suggested... I will keep on mind this tip as I will resume GST! Thank you!! :)