one arm muscleup

Started by speters, October 10, 2009 · 9 Replies · 5,285 Views

speters

Has anyone played around on performing a one arm muscleup on a ring. I have seen the assisted one arm muscleup video on Beast Skills (one arm with false grip and the other hand just using his pinkie finger). Although hard on the pinkie it was not to difficult to attain--about three tries. I have been playing around with having one ring higher than the other and performing the movement in this manner. At a certain height you realize that the crux of the movement becomes when attempting to balance and fully extend the one arm that is using the higher ring. One arm pull-ups are not a problem, I just wonder how hard it is going to be to get the weight above the ring and keep the balance???

Curious if others have worked this movement and what their success has been, etc...

Thanks,

Sean

braindx

Similar to the bar muscle up, you should theoretically be able to get the arm over in one arm dip.

The problem then becomes getting up to support.

I believe you can maintain support by pulling the ring towards you with grip strength, and going into a straddle L to counter balance.

Transitioning from the OAC to one arm dip low position is going to be tough. as is getting from the one arm dip position up to the straight arm straddle L.

I am certain it is doable based on my speculation above, but I have never attempted it. I can OAC easily so I probably have around the same strength as you... but this is a monumental task. It's probably way easier to do a one arm rope climb than this skill.

Ido Portal

This is the closest try I have seen performed: (there is a lot of momentum and swing use here, but still, amazing achievement)

Xj48SlxgU1Q

Ido.

braindx

Yep, that's the one I was referring to... I beleive similar transition needs to be used.

speters

I have seen that video and it is impressive. Probably not going to be doing that sort of thing in my lifetime no matter how dedicated I become.... but the ring one arm muscle-up seems maybe, slightly possible. I also thought the reverse muscle-up was going to be in my bag of tricks by now as well (it's not).

Thanks for the response,

Sean

braindx
speters said:
I have seen that video and it is impressive. Probably not going to be doing that sort of thing in my lifetime no matter how dedicated I become.... but the ring one arm muscle-up seems maybe, slightly possible. I also thought the reverse muscle-up was going to be in my bag of tricks by now as well (it's not).

Thanks for the response,

Sean

Nope, the bar one is definitely easier.

If you're gonna learn one, then learn that one first. Will teach you the similar technique you need to have for the one ring.

John Sapinoso

7adzzYvNt-o

this video came up as related to one of mine.

it's hard to tell how much assistance the other arm is giving. using only one finger doesn't really decrease your pulling power by much. i'd suggest he use his assisting arm in a disadvantaged position rather than using less fingers.

Gregor

it's kiping MU, I think real MU on rings isn't realy posible, because you can not have any support on a one hand.

about his fingers: if I tell you I can hold a cross with only one finger on a each side, so his one finger doesn't tell anything.

John Sapinoso

Gregor, if you could do that cross supported by two extended finger tips instead of gripping fingers, I'd be extremely impressed.

:D

Gregor

The easiest way to do is with midlle fingers and with palms shrugd down (like passive support of wrist instead of active and wrists paralel to rings). With that you are shorting your arms length and less stress is on finger.