Greetings everyone,
it's been a while since I last posted anything but have been occasionally keeping up to date with what's going on in general in the GB community.
My training never really went far and I only ever got up to PE/2 in a few things before I had to abandon training due to pain.
Unfortunately I suffer from scoliosis which over time(past decade or so) had created all sorts of muscle imbalances in my body. For those of you who don't know, scoliosis is when there is a lateral curve in the spine usually accompanied by rotation. I also suffered a labrum tear in my left hip way back which left parts of my body not firing correctly adding further to all the asymmetry going on.
I had originally hoped that my body wasn't as messed up when I discovered GB way back in 2008 and when Foundations dropped I bought them and went full steam into them. Each time I felt I was getting stronger I would have to stop training after about 6 months as the pain in my back was getting so bad I struggled to sleep at times. I did that a few times, start and stop. I asked around a few PTs who couldn't help me as their knowledge on scoliosis was limited to none. They couldn't even help me with giving me some unilateral exercises to help redress some of the strength imbalances. They sent me to orthopaedic surgeons who suggested surgery or nothing. I had to admit I felt like throwing in the towel at that point and resigning myself to a life being a shadow of my former self. But something in my head kept nagging me to keep looking for an answer. And so I read and researched everything I could on my condition.
A couple years back I discovered a specialist clinic in London that dealt with scoliosis, kyphosis and other skeletal issues.
They offered an alternative approach to surgery and wearing a body brace 23/7. Looking at their info and website, it looked promising and I booked a consultation. They examined me and said I could definitely benefit. Their method used specially designed exercise and breathing techniques custom fit to each person as everyone's curve and rotation are different.
Of course I wanted to sign up there and then but the price of their 4 week course was something I couldn't come up with at that time. So for the past couple of years I have been working and saving up for the course and the associated expenses of travelling to and staying in London, and I am glad to say I spent the 4 weeks of December in the clinic, doing specialist unilateral exercises and learning breathing techniques to stop any worsening of my scoliosis and rebalance the muscles in my back.
They also worked on my trigger points with myofascial release and massage, reactivated my deinnervated muscles and helped me with fixing the overpronation in one of my feet. Posture work was also of very high importance and I was re-educated in how to hold my body up properly. I couldn't believe how sloppy one's posture can get if you allow it to. Mine was all over the place!
So for 6 hours a day, 5 days a week I worked very hard. However, it has proven to be one of the best decisions of my adult life. I left on the last day with no pain in my back, feeling light on my feet, and with the knowledge to contain my condition and not let it control my life.
Of course I have to do certain exercises daily for the rest of my life, and go back every year for a check up at the clinic but I am good to go. So I reset all my training on F1 and am starting back from the beginning. Have had 2 sessions so far over the past week and am over the moon to report that there was no pain, or unexpected discomfort other than that due to working hard. I have also gone through all 3 stretch courses and the only issue is having to take it easier on the middle split course as going hard can aggravate the labrum tear. I also still classify as a zombie so those courses are just gold to me.
So sorry for the long post but just stoked to be active again. I had to let everyone know also that though there will be dark times during your journey in GB, if you work hard and stay positive you will get through your roadblocks.
So happy new year to everyone in the GB community and especially those struggling on F1(no doubt like I will). I hope your training goes well. You'll be seeing me around again in these parts! ![]()