This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Starting light. Or is it too light?

Started by grayhawk, January 1, 2016 · 2 Replies · 189 Views

grayhawk

Hello,

 

I am just starting to work on GST - still recovering from an injury as I posted elsewhere unfortunately, but having received the OK from my doctor I thought that doing some GST would make the recovery period more interesting!

 

I currently have purchased the starter pack and the stretches and I am thinking of a 3day/week structure of the form

- day 1: F1 first block + FS stretch

- day 3: F1 second block + MS stretch

- day 5: HS1 + TB stretch

 

Would this be too light? I am doing the split version of F1 and  HS on a separate day in order to keep the workout short and not lose focus - the stretches are pretty long but I surely need them. Also I prefer to start light and add up then the other way around.

 

Still, if that is advisable I can try and put in a 4th day. In case, while keeping the other days structure as it is, what would you advise doing?

- F1 full

- F1 block following ABA BAB structure

- HS1 again

- Other? T1, HS2,...

 

I do not own T1 or HS2 so I would need some good reasons to put those in!

Dylan Robertson

That will work fine, but progress will be slow.

If I was doing a three day F program is do it like

M- Fa, MS Stretch

T- H1

W- Fb, TB Stretch

T- H1

F- Fa, FS Stretch

Mainly just see what works the best for you, don't injure yourself again, and rehab your injury. Better to start light, and build up, then go hard at the start, and injure yourself.

Giovanni Garcea
grayhawk said:

Hello,

 

I am just starting to work on GST - still recovering from an injury as I posted elsewhere unfortunately, but having received the OK from my doctor I thought that doing some GST would make the recovery period more interesting!

 

I currently have purchased the starter pack and the stretches and I am thinking of a 3day/week structure of the form

- day 1: F1 first block + FS stretch

- day 3: F1 second block + MS stretch

- day 5: HS1 + TB stretch

 

Would this be too light? I am doing the split version of F1 and  HS on a separate day in order to keep the workout short and not lose focus - the stretches are pretty long but I surely need them. Also I prefer to start light and add up then the other way around.

 

Still, if that is advisable I can try and put in a 4th day. In case, while keeping the other days structure as it is, what would you advise doing?

- F1 full

- F1 block following ABA BAB structure

- HS1 again

- Other? T1, HS2,...

 

I do not own T1 or HS2 so I would need some good reasons to put those in!

I do exactly the same, but I swap your days 3 and 5, as I feel that MS and FS need more than one day distance between them. My history was that I started with doing way more than this and by the time I arrived at the deload week I was spent and overly tired. Then I moved to the same approach as yours and things are much better and I'm ready to add a little more.

 

The general advice I have is to start with a very light schedule for one or two 4-weeks cycles. If you find that you get to the deload week still fresh and full of energy, increase the schedule a little bit and then test your recovery again in the following cycle, until you find your sweet spot. It is much better to start light and work yourself up to a more dense schedule, than crashing immediately by doing too much