Overactive QL

Started by The Hansenator, January 1, 2016 · 6 Replies · 6,435 Views

The Hansenator

Hello,

 

I've been dealing with an overactive QL on the right side. Is anyone familiar with what might cause that? I figure the QL might be compensating for weakness in another muscle but I don't know enough about how the muscles work together.

 

Thanks.

Spphysio

How is your hip mobility? And especially your hip flexors?

The Hansenator

Hip mobility is good. I was working with a physical therapist and he gave me some exercises to improve rotation but he said I'm good now. The pt never mentioned hip flexors so I assumed they're acceptable. I can stand up straight and ppt my hips and they don't feel tight when I'm walking.

 

I don't think it's a mobility issue. I only have issues on the right side and mobility is about the same on each side. It's like the QL leaps into action without being asked. If I try something like a deadlift, I need to pause at the bottom and wait for the QL to relax and I can feel the hip on that side tuck under a little, then I can lift.

The Hansenator

Quick update, just because.

 

When I poke around with my fingers, I can feel some muscles that are kind of slack right in the "gluteal fold" area as compared to the other side. Not sure exactly which muscles they are but when I contract them isometrically ( a feeling like it starts from the outside of the hip and goes inward) I can feel stress taken off the QL and my back feels better. It brings to mind the tip I've seen to visualize cracking a walnut between your cheeks. I've become convinced that this lack of muscle tone is where the problem is.

 

What would be a good way to build muscle tone in that "gluteal fold" area right between the hip and upper leg?

Coach Sommer
The Hansenator said:

... If I try something like a deadlift, I need to pause at the bottom and wait for the QL to relax and I can feel the hip on that side tuck under a little, then I can lift ...

 

Stop deadlifting for the time being.

 

Focus on getting your ab, oblique and lower back strength/mobility back in line using the FL, MN and SL progressions from Foundation.  And the Thoracic Bridge and Middle Split Stretch Series.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

The Hansenator
Coach Sommer said:

Stop deadlifting for the time being.

 

Focus on getting your ab, oblique and lower back strength/mobility back in line using the FL, MN and SL progressions from Foundation.  And the Thoracic Bridge and Middle Split Stretch Series.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Thanks, I'll start to really pay attention to those.

Mercurium

I know this has been answered, but I found that SL/PE4 through SL/PE6 does wonders for the quadratus lumborum. I'd really focus on those.