This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Starting after injury

Started by grayhawk, December 31, 2015 · 2 Replies · 108 Views

grayhawk

Hello everyone,

 

I am new and glad to be here!

 

What I am going to ask is not wether or not I should practise F1/H1 after an injury, a question for the doctor who is following me and who gave the ok to proceed, but if given my current limitations it makes sense to start or it would be better to wait.

 

In what has been a pretty unfortunate year, I managed to fracture both a knee (tibial spine) in January and a femur in July. The fractures have healed fine, but the knee fracture required a pretty long immobilisation. As a consequence my left knee is still very stiff, the extension is not yet complete (3-4 degrees missing), same for flexion (warmed up it is nearly complete, but cold is about 10 degrees less than the other leg). Also, my left leg has still not recovered to full strength. Of course I have done, and I am still doing, rehabilitation exercises. All of these problems should have room for much improvement, if not total recovery, but the time frame is not going to be a couple of weeks unfortunately.

 

Add to this that I am in my early thirties. I have done some sport while I was younger but since university my lifestyle has been mostly sedentary. In the last couple of months, beyond rehabilitation exercises, I have done some beginner weight lifting and cardio. So, I am not overweight or terribly unfit, but neither I am fit.

 

Given all this, do you think it makes sense to start with F1/H1 (or what else?) or would I do better to wait until my recovery is at a more advanced stage?

 

Cole Dano

None of us are doctors, and the best course is of course to get your Dr's approval before starting any exercise program.

 

That said, the Foundations program has been used to help rehabilitate many students. The key is being wise and knowing how to scale the exercises to your current ability. The forums are a great resource for that and we have experienced GST instructors and Physical Therapists on the moderation staff to help you with your personal situation.

grayhawk

Thank you Cole