This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Tell me about Xiaopengs?

Started by The Hansenator, December 31, 2015 · 22 Replies · 1,080 Views

The Hansenator

Can some one tell me some details about the Xiaopengs?

 

Xiaopengs have always intrigued me. I like it and it seems like a good exercise but I haven't seen it anywhere besides here. Where did it come from and does this exercise offer unique benefits not found in other mobility exercises? How do you pronounce it?

 

Are certain muscles targeted - serratus, lower traps perhaps? On a semi-related side note, what would be good exercises to focus on if you need to strengthen the serratus and lower traps?

 

Thanks.

Stefano Baral

I second the request, I always has been curious about this exercise.

Alexander Egebak

bump

Cole Dano

From an earlier post of Coach Sommer -

 

            #12            

 

 

That particular iM is a Xiaopeng; named after the great Chinese Olympic Champion on vault and parallel bars in the early to mid 2000s.  

 

Xiaoping is a good friend of mine who was the 1983 World Champion on pommel horse and who also ran the Gymnastic Competition during the 2008 Olympics in Beijing.

 

And to further confuse the issue; Xiaopeng is now married to Xiaoping's daughter!    :icon_cool:

 

 

 

Krel
The Hansenator said:

Are certain muscles targeted - serratus, lower traps perhaps?

I would say rotator cuff.

Alexander Egebak

I guess what OP is seeking, just as I am, is an anatomical and biomechanical explanation of the element.

Keilani Gutierrez

well, essentially it's a shoulder circle. a weighted shoulder circle. 

it goes through all scapular articulations and rotates the humerus inside the glenohumeral joint. so essentially, it covers the entire shoulder girdle and even affects upto the elbow joint through the range the upper arm goes into and I guess, the weight rotation with the grip would affect the lower arm in a way, as well. i guess the lower arm would get fatigued the higher the weight, i've tried doing them with 20-25lbs and my forearm gets about as wrecked as my shoulder when im done with 3-5r.

Alessandro Mainente

It targets high, middle and lower traps, external rotator muscles (supraspinatus, teres minor and teres major), long head tricep , anterior delt and and actively strengthen the proximal long/short head bicep tendon.

Alexander Egebak

Thank you

DAMIEN DEL RUSSO

I don't feel this exercise as a shoulder circle. Given that you rotate your torso about 90 degrees and your arm is forward, that is a lateral raise. The downward motion too is a lateral lower, straight out from your body. The big difference is the top, where you rotate your arm next to your ear, to create a smooth motion.

 

A shoulder circle is more when you face forward and your arms go in front and behind you, which I've only ever done to loosen up.

 

Anyway, as a lateral raise, shouldn't most of the work be the top of the shoulder and the traps? I say "most" - I'm no physiologist - but when I do these I feel it in my obliques, too (I have long arms).

Keilani Gutierrez

Damien

I do two types of limbering up with this element. the way the athlete does it on the video is the way i perform it during my WOD. prior to this i do a set with a lighter weight trying to achieve more ROM and these do not feel or look like a lateral raise. I purposely open my chest to get more of shoulder circle with the upper arm internally and externally rotating while in flexion. even the light weight is brutal. this something that i think Zach mentioned at one point(to do the xiaopeng with the goal of doing them with less and less torso rotation). if I find the link, ill edit it in here. #thumbsup :)

DAMIEN DEL RUSSO

OK, that makes sense. I used to do them with more torso rotation (head looking 180 degrees), and have been rotating a less (90 degrees) to try to get that back edge of the shoulder - more like a shoulder circle :-) When I push too far back I feel little pops and such, so I adjust enough that I don't have any grinding.

 

I use 10 lbs, and 5 sets is definitely enough to feel some burn!

vannybute

I think the old studio my son went to was owned by Xiaopeng.

Coach Sommer
vannybute said:

I think the old studio my son went to was owned by Xiaopeng.

 

No, that would be Xiaoping.

 

If so, your son was extraordinarily fortunate to have had such an opportunity.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

vannybute

Are you talking about Li Xiaoping...

Coach Sommer
vannybute said:

Are you talking about Li Xiaoping...

 

Of course.

 

If you were training in sourthern California, there is no other.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Damon Amato
Krel said:

I would say rotator cuff.

Not to get technical, but approximately 150 muscles are being used during Xiaopeng's. When a client asks me what muscles they're working for it, I just say "lots."

traweaver

Since we are on this exercise.  Should we do all reps on one side before going to the other or alternate?  This would go for windmill too.

 

Thanks!

Tracey 

Joshua Slocum
traweaver said:

Since we are on this exercise. Should we do all reps on one side before going to the other or alternate? This would go for windmill too.

Thanks!

Tracey

All one side then the other. E.g. 5 left then 5 right.

Jason Dupree
Damon Amato said:

Not to get technical, but approximately 150 muscles are being used during Xiaopeng's. When a client asks me what muscles they're working for it, I just say "lots."

I go back and forth between saying 'everything' and listing off every muscle in the body when asked this, depending on how snarky I feel that day. For some reason (bodybuilding) the general population trains specific muscles only, as opposed to movements and using the body as a unit. One of many reasons there are strong looking people who can't move. It's a good chance to show them a new perspective on training though.

 

Back to the topic, i'm pretty sure it's pronounced "Shiaopeng", although i've never actually heard anyone say it. 

El Chino
Jason Dupree said:

I go back and forth between saying 'everything' and listing off every muscle in the body when asked this, depending on how snarky I feel that day. For some reason (bodybuilding) the general population trains specific muscles only, as opposed to movements and using the body as a unit. One of many reasons there are strong looking people who can't move. It's a good chance to show them a new perspective on training though.

 

Back to the topic, i'm pretty sure it's pronounced "Shiaopeng", although i've never actually heard anyone say it. 

Am of Chinese origin so can confirm that that is how it is pronounced. It's a tricky language.

The Hansenator
Jason Dupree said:

I go back and forth between saying 'everything' and listing off every muscle in the body when asked this, depending on how snarky I feel that day. For some reason (bodybuilding) the general population trains specific muscles only, as opposed to movements and using the body as a unit. One of many reasons there are strong looking people who can't move. It's a good chance to show them a new perspective on training though.

 

Back to the topic, i'm pretty sure it's pronounced "Shiaopeng", although i've never actually heard anyone say it. 

I sometimes ask because of specific concerns I might have. Like my weak/underactive lower traps which contribute to my shoulder issues. I've been to physical therapy for it and it's better than it was but still bothers me so I'm interested in things that will isolate/activate/strengthen lower traps.

Damon Amato
The Hansenator said:

I sometimes ask because of specific concerns I might have. Like my weak/underactive lower traps which contribute to my shoulder issues. I've been to physical therapy for it and it's better than it was but still bothers me so I'm interested in things that will isolate/activate/strengthen lower traps.

The progressions for RC will improve lower traps a ton, especially when your feet are elevated.