HLL and hip flexors

Started by Edoardo Cagnola, December 31, 2015 · 10 Replies · 3,003 Views

Edoardo Cagnola

I understand that hip flexors are going to play a role in hanging leg lifts, but I feel like I'm relying on them too much since they get way more sore and tight than my (lower) abs. Is this normal or is it something that I should try to correct (if so, how?)?

Thanks for your inputs, and happy new year to you all!

Modest Beginner

i have had the same problem, just stretch them enough and try to bring not only your leg up but also rotate your hips a little bit and bring them up with your legs. you should hang and bring up your legs, hips and core a bit, so you mostly use the core muscles instead hip flexors. worked for me though

Alessandro Mainente

The lift of the legs is primarily a hips flexor movement and you should aim to compress as much as possible with butt on the stall bar. when you pass the point where you need to curl the spine you start to use the abs.

Edoardo Cagnola

Thanks for the answers, I'm implement your cues and see how it goes!

katlinchen

Yes, compress as much as possible! When I am doing them, I get my feet completely under the bar, because I compress so much. (I wish I would be equally good in pulling or pushing as in compressing  :facepalm: )

So yeah, forgot to answer your actual question - Leg Lifts are primarily only Hip Flexors and should not be abs. Try Hollow Rocks, Up Side Down Sit Ups, Planks for abs 

JonasPortugal

Wow, I envy you guys. I can barely do a Half Hanging Leg Lift. My goals is to to a Full toes to bar (under the bar). 

It seems I'm so far off... it's sad.

 

So I should contract my glutes while to get to that L-position on the HLL?

Alessandro Mainente
JonasPortugal said:

Wow, I envy you guys. I can barely do a Half Hanging Leg Lift. My goals is to to a Full toes to bar (under the bar). 

It seems I'm so far off... it's sad.

 

So I should contract my glutes while to get to that L-position on the HLL?

Glutes extend and open the hips working against the hips flexors that are necessary to hold the legs in the L-position.

how do you suppose to squeeze the glutes?

the only one way to work glutes in L position is try to open the legs into straddle position as much as you can.

Modest Beginner
JonasPortugal said:

Wow, I envy you guys. I can barely do a Half Hanging Leg Lift. My goals is to to a Full toes to bar (under the bar). 

It seems I'm so far off... it's sad.

 

So I should contract my glutes while to get to that L-position on the HLL?

stretching your hip flexors and hamstrings helps ALOT, and do simple progressions. You get better if you WANT to get better 

JonasPortugal

Do you guys recommend greasing the groove (GTV) for leg raises?

 

I can only do one or good reps of Half HLL, but I've been working hard on them for months. I can't imagine doing a full HLL, I think I'd throw confettis.

Romulo
JonasPortugal said:

Do you guys recommend greasing the groove (GTV) for leg raises?

 

I can only do one or good reps of Half HLL, but I've been working hard on them for months. I can't imagine doing a full HLL, I think I'd throw confettis.

The usual recommendation: Buy Foundation and you will get all your doubts answered!  :)

 

You would spend the whole Foundation 1 course just with preparatory elements for HLL, 6 prep elements to be exact. If you follow the course, when you get to Foundation 2 HLL are going to be piece of cake.

Ravn
Romulo said:

The usual recommendation: Buy Foundation and you will get all your doubts answered! :)

You would spend the whole Foundation 1 course just with preparatory elements for HLL, 6 prep elements to be exact. If you follow the course, when you get to Foundation 2 HLL are going to be piece of cake.

HLL may be cake, but L to V certainly isn't! :-)