This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Shoulder extension question

Started by vannybute, December 29, 2015 · 5 Replies · 222 Views

vannybute

Hi guys! 

 

My son is wondering how he could progress his PE2-im. His german hang is attached ( he just played around with it once). However, even with this level of GH, his iM is really bad; he can only barely get to shoulder height with an unweighted bar. How should he work on this. Also, was he doing GH incorrectly? this was just from him playing around once and he's never done it after that  :)

post-15684-0-15892200-1451415121_thumb.p

Jeremy Huston

Passive flexibility is different from active flexibility where he has to actively pull his arms up. Keep working at it and the strength will eventually come.

vannybute

Okay. But is his GH okay or does he risk injury like that? When he used to practice at a gymnastics studio he did a lot and was fine, so I don't think it's bad, but maybe there's a problem?

Alessandro Mainente

You should consider that hold something and move around WHILE  holding it , it's easier compared to lift something and hold it. This approach will make the lift effortless and you can focus only on holding. it works well.

 

post-1151-0-93166900-1451428705_thumb.pn

 

notes:

-keep head neutral during the return to vertical position

-depress the shoulders, never elevate

vannybute

Interesting! Should he hold each of these positions for a little bit or do a dynamic movement throughout the positions( start holding the weight, lift it and lean over, come back to vertical and bring down, and repeat)

~Atticus
Alessandro Mainente said:

You should consider that hold something and move around WHILE  holding it , it's easier compared to lift something and hold it. This approach will make the lift effortless and you can focus only on holding. it works well.

 

attachicon.gifextens roll over.png

 

notes:

-keep head neutral during the return to vertical position

-depress the shoulders, never elevate

What a fantastic cue Alessandro!

I've been debating whether I was ready for a "weight" upgrade to my shoulder extensions, as I can now comfortably do them at a weight that I've been using for a while, but wasn't sure how to proceed. And I think that using this cue will help me figure out whether I can bump up the weight a little bit without compromising my form.