This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Shoulder Mobility/Stability

Started by Pops, December 29, 2015 · 4 Replies · 217 Views

Pops

Hello everyone,

 

I was doing F1 and HS1 for a few months earlier in 2015, making what I thought was good progress, but got hung up when I got to the Korean Dips which was partially an equipment issue, but moreso from the fact that I started experiencing great pain in my left bicep/shoulder/neck. This pain halted nearly all my training (GB, weight lifting, martial arts) while I sought treatment from a physiotherapist. 

 

My self diagnosis was from having a desk job (bad posture for long periods of time) + carrying around my kids preferentially on that side. I also did break my clavicle on my left side when I was younger and had a minor sports injury. The physio said that I had tremendously weak and immobile rotator cuff muscles, especially the Teres Minor, my scapula was also very immobile.

 

Truth is that I've always felt like I've had a weak "pull", meaning cruddy back and lat strength relative to other things like pushing or leg strength movements. Rowing and climbing were always tough, and developing punching power was difficult for me as well.

 

So I am feeling a lot better but wondered if there are any protocols I can specifically follow to ensure good shoulder girdle stability and mobility as I get back on track with F1/HS1, or will following those programs be sufficient?

Thanks

Chris

Pops

Hello,

 

I have some pretty challenging issues with maintaining strength through a full range of motion with my shoulders and can get "stuck" in a movement i.e. on a muscle up, I get caught on the transition, and on a korean dip, I have a hard time lowering myself under the bar without discomfort, and cannot lift my ass back onto the bar (just feels like I can't achieve that range).

 

Are there any suggestions on alternative progressions or ways to assist my Korean Dip work?

 

Thanks

Chris

 

Moderator edit: The previous posts were merged since they are so closely related.

mrobertweiss

There are two very good threads on the korean dips, in one of which I placed an entry,my two cents,  if you use the search engine. Either enter the HBP/9 or 10  encryption or just use korean dips as an entry term. I had great benefit from initiating the hang for progressive periods , just to condition loading the anterior shoulder. This ensures you will not injure yourself with momentum. It appears you have already perhaps gotten a bicipital tendonitis, from the symptoms you describe. The long head attaches to the superior labrum, looks like a cable smaller than your pinky with an endoscope, so be careful. If it hurts to just hang with a dorsal pronated grip on the bar, body tight and extended, you need to work with the therapist, or better, see ortho  and ascertain whether you have an injury.

 

After you are certain you can hang for 20 seconds or so without pain,( this should be taxing but NOT painful), key cues for me were to  minimize forearm movement very much past the vertical when at maximum drop, ( same as keeping  the shoulders/scapulae  back and retracted at all times, and a very tight grip on bar), look  forward/upwards(not down) throughout the movement, never flex the knees( this will get you immediately  butt-hung under the bar), and lastly  to time the triceps push-out the instant you feel your toes begin to come forward after maximum extension. An interesting way to help with timing is to have the P bars to the right of a wall, whereby a high intensity worklight on the ground  in front of you and to the left somewhat, will cast your silhouette on the wall as you drop. You can watch the  shadow and expertly learn to time the pushout, since the sense that your feet have suddenly changed direction is a bit difficult  to apprehend. 

Pops

Thanks for the input!

Should I be avoiding any of the foundations or H1 programming while I work on this?
 

mrobertweiss

Get some professional help to evaluate your shoulder discomfort and determine if it is something structural, or not.

 

I like Dave's shoulder warmup sequence, it looks like it wouldnt be that helpful, but it is; it takes five minutes and is really designed to mobilize your shoulder through a nearly full rom ,  without stressing it. You will recognize immediately if something is wrong  or stiff or just not right, during this five minutes. here is the video link:  https://youtu.be/cMVVBUVBa3g

You'll have to research this topic for yourself, as well, there are a million shoulder prehab/rehab opinions/plans.