This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

RC/PE1+iM form check

Started by jkoppel, December 28, 2015 · 17 Replies · 329 Views

jkoppel

I'm having a lot of trouble figuring this movement out. The iM also feels too easy.

 

 

Alessandro Mainente

Pe: do not move your hips, but should stay in the same place

Im: shoot another video. it is unclear the execution.

Dylan Robertson

Rings are also too high, try lowering them and that might help. Arms should still be a 90 degree angle though, with external rotation at the end (turn hands in)

jkoppel

How do I know when I have a good height for the rings?

vannybute

When your glutes are just off the ground and your forearms and biceps can form a 90 degree angle.

Nick Roy

You're starting out too far forward. A good way to measure your starting positions is actually holding the rings in the top position. Keep your torso completely vertical and keep your arms at perfect 90 degree angles. Once you get that right, notice where your heels are touching the floor. Your heels should be in that spot every single time you do this exercise. After I get the right position I lower into the rep and start the count from there. When you don't have an elevated ceiling to hang your rings from this is the best way to get the right position.

Secondly, a good cue to remember is that hinge row is a lot more like an assisted situp. You're hinging at your hips while keeping tension in your upper back the whole time you do this movement. You should always fee like your scapula is working at every position.

James Koppel

I spent a while just trying to practice the top position and declines. This is starting to feel more like a situp. How is it now?

 

 

 

James Koppel

Still working on this. How am I doing?

 

 

 

James Koppel

 

So, after finding myself leading with my head and moving my hips too much, I decided to cut back yet again to focus on form. How am I doing?

 

 

Alessandro Mainente

In the top position it is not vertical, this is due to hips positioning. move them a bit backward before beginning the reps.

Jon Douglas

It may be the camera angle but you also look pretty high there, which may be making it weird by starting with a big body angle. I like to be as straight as possible, parallel with the floor at the bottom, just off the ground. The rings are set at about the height of my hipbone.

James Koppel

Thanks. That's a lot lower than I've been setting it.

James Koppel

Okay, how am I doing?

 

 

James Koppel

Hi @Alessandro Mainente @Jon Douglas. It's now getting close to a year that I've been on this element. I want to know if I'm anywhere close to getting this.

 

Also, I checked the course videos again. They have the rings set to way higher than hipbone.

Alessandro Mainente

Now hips are fine, try to reach with the upper body vertical.

Leo Trinidad

Everyone is refining that element @James Koppel Do not worry for you are not alone on this one. Keep up the good work and post another video after a week. 

James Koppel

Okay. What advice do you have for getting vertical? Also, any thoughts on ring height? 

Jon Douglas
15 hours ago, James Koppel said:

Okay. What advice do you have for getting vertical? Also, any thoughts on ring height? 

Ring height; just a touch lower than you are there. Should be fine as is.

For getting vertical, retraction + depression, and a focus on getting that 90 degree elbow and vertical forearms. When I start a rep, my shoulders are just off or barely brushing the ground, I start the pull by pulling back and down with scaps, which pulls arms with them. Completing a rep with the arms in the right position requires from me a strong scapular depression; if I lose that and try to row with my arms reps get shallow (as in harder to get to vertical) and tiring fast.

It is fine to think of this element as a situp assisted by the row, rather than the opposite, if this helps. Glutes should not raise and lower off the ground.

Your first few reps are not bad at all, but they get a little bit less controlled after that. While pushing yourself for more reps sometimes is good, keep the primary focus on keeping form up.