This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Undergrip Dislocates

Started by Stigz, December 28, 2015 · 11 Replies · 685 Views

Stigz

Hey Everyone, 

 

Just had a question for you. I've been doing overgrip dislocates for quite some time, and am pretty much at shoulder width. However, I'm working on undergrip dislocates, and i must be doing something wrong. I put the bar behind me with palms facing forward, but after i cross overhead, i guess I am rotating (or not rotating enough) because i end up in front with almost a false grip, my hand kinked around the bar. 

 

What am I doing wrong? I have pretty good shoulder mobility, should I be retracting actively until i get overhead or something? I can't figure it out for the life of me, but I'm sure it's something so minuscule I'm going to feel stupid once you guys chime in. 

 

Let me know. Thanks in advance. 

Wes Tan

Hey Stigz,

 

I think that is pretty common for many with the undergrip dislocates  :)

 

In order to grip the bar without flexion in the wrist you need a good range of motion in both pronation of the forearm and internal rotation of the shoulder. Supinator, biceps brachii and the forearm flexors all need to be lengthened, so to infraspinatus, teres minor and the deltoid.

 

I have been working on the same issue by focusing on stretching one arm at a time into the end position with dowel in front of the body. Take the dowel in front and rotate the arm and hand into final position, using the other hand to bring the dowel across the body horizontally. you will feel a good stretch.

 

Try it out, should help!

Stigz

Thanks for the quick reply! Can you please explain further the stretch you are recommending? I'm having a tough time visualizing. 

Wes Tan

So we are going to stretch the left arm.

 

Take the dowel with a regular overgrip with the left hand in front of you, at the right end of the dowel.

The dowel is sticking out to the left of you.

Pronate the forearm and internally rotate your left arm as much as possible so that the dowel points in front of you.

Now take the dowel with your right hand and pull it horizontally into final position.

You should now have the left hand in full undergrip and be feeling a good stretch.

Stigz

Ok i think I got it, I'll try it out in my midday training session in a few hours and let you know how it goes! Thanks again! 

Stigz

All i have to say is wow, i have some serious mobility defecits to address. Not as bad as i thought - but the muscles and tendons that run on the outside of my arm need some serious limbering up. 

 

Thanks so much for the advice! Helps alot! 

Wes Tan

It's a good stretch Stigz  :D

Mike Bowerman

I'm having a hard time visualizing this stretch though it sounds like it would be useful for me. Any chance there is a link to a video, or a name I could use to Google a video?

Thanks for any help

Alessandro Mainente

I'm sorry Mike but the correct execution it is a material covered in HS course and it is not possible to share this in public.

Also if you are a beginner and you do not have basic shoulder flexion and extension then you have low chances to develop safe and useful dislocates.

Wesley Tan

Apologies Alessandro. Didn't mean to conflict but I believe he's asking about the supplemental stretch I recoomended higher up in the thread.

Mike Bowerman

I was referring to the supplemental stretch Wesley described. Would be great to have a look. If that is in HS1 or 2, I have those classes as well and am happy to be directed to the relevant section there.

Thanks Wes and all.

 

Mike Bowerman

Hi @Wesley Tan - I made a video of what I think you were describing, can you let me know if it is the right idea? Also, would it be useful to do this in the other direction, encouraging external rotation? I have a feeling that might be hard on the wrist, but interested in anyone's input as it also seems doing a counter-movement for most things is also helpful. Thanks