This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

scapular shrugs, I can not seem to do it right

Started by JohanT, December 27, 2015 · 2 Replies · 188 Views

JohanT

Hello

 

Whenever I do scapular shrugs I do not seem to be able to keep my arms (at the elbow) locked out.

It seems like I am always bending a bit at the elbow when I retract during the scapular shrugs. I try to push my elbows forward during the bottom position of scapular shrugs in an attempt to lock out my arms, however that seems to only elevate my scapula. If am am not mistaken the scapula should be depressed during the shrugs.

 

Maybe I am just talking nonsense, I do not know, I have a video bellow so you can see what I am doing.

 

I am grateful if I can get some feedback on how to improve my scapular shrugs.

 

 
Pafke

Concentrate on protraction - retraction movement, depression is not that (if at all) important here. You can turn elbows in if you cant lock them when they are turned out, notice how guy on course video turns them in.

JohanT

Thank you for your answers.

 

I am a bit confused though Pafke you say that it is ok to turn in the elbows a bit, while Zach says that you should externally rotate the arms to lock them, does that include the elbows as well.

 

I do believe that I included a video in the original post. Here it is