This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Workout Questions

Started by Bryan3, December 24, 2015 · 3 Replies · 136 Views

Bryan3

Hi all! I'm new to GST, about a month and a half into foundation/handstands, and have some questions about workout structure and progressions. I apologize in advance if these are questions that get covered frequently, but after a few days of perusing the forums a concise answer did not present itself.

 

First: I've been working on foundations Mon-Fri, and handstands Mon, Wed, Fri. Regarding the days that foundations and handstands overlap, is it best to do the foundation PEs then handstand PEs, vice versa, or to super set the two progressions?

E.G. Set one of MN/PE and paired mobility then immediately set one of WP/PE, continuing through both sets to completion in this manner.

 

Second: Once the mastery template is met for a specific progression, how much more work should be put into that progression before moving on? The first week the requirements are met, but it still takes 90% max effort, I feel there is still more to be gained from that PE before moving to the next progression. However there is a personal worry that I'll become stagnant by spending weeks attempting to make the exercise relatively effortless. Is there a good rule of thumb for what to look for between hitting the mastery template but not ready to move on and slipping into a comfort zone?

 

Thanks in advance!

Joshua Slocum

It doesn't matter much whether you do handstand or foundation first. Experiment and see what you like best.

Once mastery is met you should move on. Mastery *should* take a lot of effort. If you can do it with 90% of max effort, it's usually more productive to move on to the next element. Note that mastery requires five sets of the exercise and integrated mobility performed with correct form and no additional rest - if you're taking extra rest or your form starts slipping towards the end, you need to iron that out before progressing.

Bryan3

Awesome! Thanks Joshua for the timely response and clear answer. I'll have to take a step back this week and reassess all my progressions.

Andros_Maximus

Hi guys, I'm new to GST as well - just received access to Foundation One and Handstand one. Been spending the day reading topics on this forum and reading introductory articles etc. So much to take in but really looking forward to getting started. This topic answered a few questions I had too so thanks for that  ;)