This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Supine Shoulder Extensions Help

Started by Mad Grappler, December 23, 2015 · 7 Replies · 274 Views

Mad Grappler

I cannot make headway with this element.  My hands cannot come together.  I still feel strong tension in my biceps.  My elbows scream.  The best I can do is a super wide posture where I dont feel much stretch.  Is there any supplemental exercises I can do to loosen up a bit so that I may get some utility from this stretch?

 

Happy Holidays!!

Alessandro Mainente

DO it slowly in function of muscles and elbows tension. no work against pain should be done. body will adapts.

Mad Grappler

Thanks.

Mark Collins

The active mobility for F2 HBP series work well for the shoulder extension.

Coach Sommer
Mark Collins said:

The active mobility for F2 HBP series work well for the shoulder extension.

 

 

Also the more advanced MN progressions from F3 & F4 are excellent improving shoulder extension.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Wes Tan

You could try holding a dowel behind your back, whilst attempting the stretch in order to creep your hands a little closer before entering the stretch. This may allow you to open your chest a little more, which you probably need as well, and help to explore the external rotation at the shoulder too.

 

Having the palms closed will take some stretch off the elbows, but make sure your grip is loose, just enough so your hands don't slip apart.

 

Remember this is just a suggestion and a temporary modification  :)

Mad Grappler

Thanks for the feedback. Wes, this was exactly the type of fix I need to hold me over. Funds are tight since Santa was kind to my little terrors this year!

Leonhard Krahé

Some words of encouragement: When I started the stretch series, my shoulder extension was very poor, too. But over time (and most to my own surprise as my overall progress with GB has been more than painfully slow) it really got better and I think now I'm finally getting some stimulus out of the supine walks as well. My rom is still very far from being acceptable (I guess) but nonetheless it is night and day better than before. Just take it easy and take your time.