This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Avoiding shoulder work - which stretch courses should I buy?

Started by Mark H, December 23, 2015 · 4 Replies · 266 Views

Mark H

I'm after some advice on what stretching courses I should buy.

Three years ago I developed a nasty shoulder bursitis and it took a long time to recover. A couple of months ago I rushed a warm up before a heavy shoulder training session and I've got a similar problem again.

I recently found GB and bought F1 and H1. I don't think I'll ever go back to normal weight training, I can already see GB is an amazing system. I can do all exercises pretty much pain free but the next day I have a lot of discomfort in my bad shoulder so I've decided to leave out anything in F1 that uses my arms (except seated Russian twist which doesn't seem to cause any pain during or after) and I'm just doing the wrist work of H1, until my shoulder's fully recovered.

I read some great advice on the forums to use this injury recovery time to concentrate on stretching.

Will the thoracic bridge course be too much shoulder work while I'm trying to eliminate any shoulder use?

I'll buy both split courses in the next few months, but to start with which one will help me the most with mastering swivel hips?

Thanks in advance!

Ryan Bailey

In general, looking at bursitis, tendinopathy, or some other shoulder diagnosis can be tricky while navigating the foundation and stretch programs. Some suggest complete rest, or avoiding certain movements, however this does not have to be the case. Looking at a broad range view of multiple courses gives a more well rounded approach; as all the GymnasticBodies courses, not just stretch courses, work in concert for shoulder health.

Shoulder pain in general:

Stretching is one good option and some of the exercises in the thoracic bridge stretch series may be of good use as a direction towards healing general shoulder pain issues. Completing the entire stretch series, however, is likely too much during an injury.

Limiting interventions only to stretch may be insufficient.

Progressive isometric holds, with an eye on dynamic positions found throughout most of the GB courses may provide pain relief and improved overall joint integrity. For example, consider the following (again, if pain-free) positions for rotator cuff strength and general shoulder stability:

Foundation 1 course:

HBP PE2 (top position)

FL PE2 iM (Pain free Partial ROM holds)

SL PE3 (Pain free Partial ROM holds)

Press Handstand Course HS2 (many solid weightbearing progressions):

pHS PE1 (pain free position, progressing isometrics towards pain free, top position)

Tumbling 1 Movement series, Quadrupedal Development Holds:

1.4 and 1.6 (pain free position, progessing isometrics towards pain free end positions over many weeks)

Consider this chart found in Journal of Orthopaedic & Sport Physical Therapy, pg. 112, if interested:

http://www.jospt.org/doi/pdf/10.2519/jospt.2003.33.3.109

looking at % Maximal Voluntary Isometric Contraction of the infraspinatus specifically over the other shoulder muscles in the some upper body weight bearing positions.

Best of Luck,

Ryan

Mark Collins

Front split will help your swivel hips.

Complete rest with bursitis and tendon injuries generally does not resolve the problem. You need to load the shoulder appropriately. You can use the shoulder exercises in Foundation to help with your recovery. I often use scaled down versions of Foundation exercises. For example you can do scapula shrugs against a wall or laying on your back holding dumbells. Hinge rows can be done with buttocks kept on the floor. Push ups on a high incline or against a wall.

Dylan Robertson

Speaking from my experience that I have been dealing with for the last month or two, 2 things have really helped my shoulder pain.

Stretching my Lats- RC>IM 1/3, and a variation of IM3 where your arm travels above your head, and the other hand that is pushing, lowers to help support you and press, also the stretches in this video.

)

Stretching rotator cuff- The External rotation stretch with a long stick (at 1:40)

And a stretch where you place your hand on the back of your hip, (keep shoulder depressed) and pull the elbow forward.

The way I do all the stretches I have listed is go to my maximum range, contract for 5 seconds, and go deeper. I usually do that about 3-5 times, and then hold for about 30-60s.

I'm not a doctor, and you should probably go see one for your pain, but these are what have helped me immensely in my recovery.

Mark H

Thanks for all your detailed replies!

All the shoulder related exercises I was avoiding I've now started doing again but with a lot lower reps. So It seems to be effective. I also start physio in a few weeks so hopefully combining low rep F1 and H1 exercises with that will get it sorted out before too long.