What is the strength difference in female climbers and female gymnasts?
One of my best friends is dating a girl for a while now and she is a competitive rock climber but has done a gymnastics as a child.
We went to gym last night together and it turned out she was amazingly strong in a gymnast way as well!
The optional girls my friend coaches had condition circuit and the girl joined them.
Well, she could climb the rope in perfect L faster than all the girls on team. She could crank out 17 L to V leg lifts without even a sight bend of a knee which was equal than the strongest girl on team (Level 9 USAG) could do. She could also do 5 straddle presses from straddle L in a row as well as a pike press from L on p-bars with amazing form!
She trains rock climbing/bouldering 6 days a week. She does warm up, then climbing technique and routes, then 30minutes of strength (she says pull-ups, ropes, leg lifts) and I
in the end she always does handstand and press handstands.
But still, how is that possible? Is climbing so strength building? I know the things she did are just really basic things and I am sure a male rock climber would lack in shoulder/tricep strength tremendously but fr girls it seems to work.
I know thought I might go climbing as well to improve pulling strength and endurance!
Any thoughts on this?