This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Gymnastic and Powerlifting training

Started by Andrea Colarusso, December 20, 2015 · 8 Replies · 364 Views

Andrea Colarusso

Hi eveyone, i'm new in this forum.

MY question is simple: until now i'm training with barbell squat, deadlift and bench press and i've started some calisthenics training (push up, spinal bridge, many core exercises like hollow body hold, dragon flag, pull ups etc).

I've bought the starter pack with foundation and handstand one and i was surprised of how big and complex is this world of gymnastic training.

So it's my intention to master the fundamentals because i believe it's important not only to be strong but also to have total control of body and his strength.

What's your opinion about this? It's possible to manage this two forms of training?

I train in powerlifting three times a week and before strength work i do some myofascial release, joint mobility and skill work. after strength work i do some core exercises, one static and one dynamic.

In the other days i work other calistenic exercises like push up progressions, pull ups and others and mobility.

 

Now with the starter pack i've a better idea about the progressions but what would you suggest?

have Anyone of you trained succesfully with gymnastic and barbell training?

Jeremy Huston

I was doing powerlifting before starting GB. At first I tried to do both but it was just too much time and I couldn't recover from the volume. Now that I'm in the lower rep/higher intensity I resumed squats and deadlifts. I was pleasantly surprised that I lost very little on either exercise. It's only been a couple weeks so i can't say for sure how dual training will work for recovery.

I feel GB does enough upper body work so I am not training bench. Between sPL and HBP progressions its pretty well covered. A 1 RM test showed I havent lost anything there.

And with all the mobility work from Foundation I haven't needed any foam rolling. I like doing the sPL IMs between squat set.

Alessandro Mainente

GST and powerlifting have completely different postures. body tends to learn well only one thing at time. practicing more things of different fields will lead to slow results.

Paul Clay

Coach Sommer says that you should put your weight training on maintenance when starting foundations (listen to the web seminar on the courses site).  I'm doing this during foundations, and it's surprising how much I still enjoy lifting despite not increasing the weight.  I do this because I've put on quite a bit of muscle in the past from weight lifting and don't want to lose it.  I know my body, and early foundations isn't quite enough to keep my muscle mass and I like having the strength.  Pretty soon, I will probably not have to do Bench or Overhead press once I get to more advanced progressions in foundation.  That said: I love barbell lifts so I don't plan on stopping them completely.  

 

A lot of people around here continue training Squats and Deadlifts.  The general idea is that you complete the SLS progressions before returning to progressing them.

Mark Collins

If your goal is to master the fundamentals then you will need to reduce the powerlifting. Try to find the frequency of training that will allow you to keep powerlifting. I would start with three days a week of Foundation so each exercise is covered three times in two weeks. Handstand twice a week. You can finish the workout with one of your powerlifting exercises, so they are done once a week.

Only you can workout the right balance of exercises. Try a 4 week cycle then reasses and make changes as needed.

DouglasMN

I'm just going to regurgitate what I've heard Coach say time and again which is, "First things, first." On that note he's also said that we really don't have any business touching weights for strength work until we've mastered the Single Leg Squat (and everything before that).

Jon Douglas

My outlook on that is, it's reasonably straightforward to gain pure leg strength-- squat and deadlift in your preferred configuration. Even dynamic legs is far easier to put together than upper body plyos. Mobility and joint prep done right and lasting is the facet that requires the most technical know how, and as we all know if either strength or mobility is developed far in excess of the other, issues happen and it becomes more difficult to close the gap. Bench press shoulders are the classic one.

If someone can squat big numbers, what have they done to their body if they don't have the ability to do sls correctly? Its certainly not a strength issue.

Apply that same question to the sls mobility elements and the answer is mostly good strength developed in a very linear path. Inside squats terrify people at my gym, and mines pretty balls to the wall at times. Joints that are strong in one plane and weak when asked to move in new ways, are hilariously delicate when the slightest misfortune strikes.

Excuse my rambling train of thought, just a little of my viewpoint for context :)

Andrea Colarusso

Thank you very much for the interesting replies, i hope that this topic will grow, full of opinions about this two styles of training. :)

Paul Clay

What I would love to see is a barbell lifting program that values mobility as much as strength.     What  I love about foundations is the mastery requirements for mobility, would be interesting to see the same concept integrated in a barbell focused program - sort of like the foundations 2+ single leg squat track.   

 

Something like

 

Squat PE1:

- Unloaded Barbell Squat 5x5

- Im: Skiers 

 

Pe2:

- (build to, by increments of 5lbs) 50% BW Barbell 5x5

- Im: Twisting Squats

 

Pe3:

- (build to, by increments of 5lbs) 65% BW Barbell 5x5

- Im: Inner Squats

 

...  and so on.   And using some of the strength PE's for "assistance" work.  

 

Similarly, you could use SLP and MN im's for Deadlifts, Handstand im's for OHP, and HBP im's for bench.