How much elevation should we shoot for in Dislocates? I'm at about 2-3 fists away from mastery width, and it feels smooth with only a little elevation, but it grinds if I strive for more.
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Elevation in Dislocates
Started by Jason Dupree, December 19, 2015 · 5 Replies · 247 Views
I believe the elevation required is very dependent on the hand width. If you watch the course video, the student doesn't maximally elevate in standard dislocate, but oddly he elevates much more in the undergrip dislocate, which is sort of odd since he is demonstrating a pretty good width.
Generally, in my opinion, the closer the hands are, the more elevation will be required. At an exactly shoulder width dislocate, which is my personal benchmark mastery width, it is pretty much impossible without maximum upward rotation where the ears are in full contact with the shoulder. But at 4 or 5 hand widths, you can get away with fairly neutral scapulae.
Some food for thought: at 4/5 hand widths, if I elevate too much, I will get grinding. At 0 hand widths, if I don't elevate enough, I will get grinding.
@micawberian Same here.
Anyways, you can actually dislocate (with some weight on the bar, even if it's just 1kg/2 lb) at hands at shoulders width? Props to you if you can! I consider the GB standard (one fist outside of shoulder width) enough for me, and that already gets people looking at me like I'm some kind of freak. I can only imagine what they would think if they happen to see you ![]()
As it gets narrower I also find it more comfortable with stronger elevation. I think of it as with wider reps I don't need to find all the small percentage factors.
That's what I was figuring, that narrower = more elevation. Thanks guys!
It is base on traps and anatomy, as the upper arms moves closer to the neck as they are in advantage lever. when arm is far from neck the leverage is disadvantageous especially if you are holding some height on the edges if the bar (that is by a chance the position you tend to assume when you are weak on dislocates .... wide grip) . it's like the elevation during the inverted cross....super hard.