This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Tumbling progressions confusion

Started by JasonN, December 18, 2015 · 22 Replies · 717 Views

JasonN

I am not understanding the progression - do I do all the 'point 1' steps together ie 1.1, 2.1, 3.1... or do I finish all of 1.1->1.6 and then move to 2.1? Help!

 

j

JasonN

OK, so I found some more information. Start with block 1, then 2, 3 and 4 if I am strong enough. Then on if my skills are up to par.

 

Is that correct?

 

 

j

Daniel Taylor-Shaut
 
Coach Sommer said:

I would recommend progressing training thru the following focused training blocks:

 

Diagnositic - section 1

 

Training block - section 2, 3 and perhaps 4 if you have sufficient arm strength.  

 

If you have not perfected forward and backward rolls how can advanced variations of these (e.g. handstand forward roll and back extensions) be trained?  More advanced sections may be experimented with at the end of the day's scheduled work; but they should not constitute a significant portion of the workout.

 

Training block - section 5 and section 6

 

Training block - section 7 and later include section 8 when advanced enough

 

Training block - section 9

 

 

It is important to understand that this is movement training which is a combination of both conditioning and skill development.  As such for developing technical excellence it is far more beneficial to slow down.

 

Rushing thru the program, attempting to do all the sections at the same time will substantially slow progress.  On the other hand, approaching the movment courses with the same eye to detail used in the other GB courses and not moving on until a section or pair of sections has been mastered will greatly accelerate future progress.

 

High quality of movement and the ensuing physical mastery earned in one section will transfer when beginning the next section.   Half assed however is forever.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

 
Nick Roy

Basically, you use all of Block 1 as a test on your very first workout. If you're particularly tight in any of the movement, then keep them in your daily warmup for Tumbling and F1 workout. If you're already good and have mastery in all of them, then it's up to you if you want to use them at all in your workout.

So

Block 1 - if mastered, do if you feel like it. If not mastered, work on them in your warm up.

Then

Block 2 - do all elements

then

Block 3 - do all elements

then

Block 4 - only if you're strong enough, do all elements.

The stronger you get the more blocks you'll add to your training.

The course says it builds up to 90 total minutes, so without the diagnostic that's roughly 12 minutes per block.


Block 1 is just a litmus test and not a necessity to the workout, unless you have not already mastered those movements.
Block 2 and 3 as a whole will make up your workout, until you're strong enough to add Block 4 and so on

Itamar sha'ashuaS
Nick Roy said:

Basically, you use all of Block 1 as a test on your very first workout. If you're particularly tight in any of the movement, then keep them in your daily warmup for Tumbling and F1 workout. If you're already good and have mastery in all of them, then it's up to you if you want to use them at all in your workout.

So

Block 1 - if mastered, do if you feel like it. If not mastered, work on them in your warm up.

Then

Block 2 - do all elements

then

Block 3 - do all elements

then

Block 4 - only if you're strong enough, do all elements.

The stronger you get the more blocks you'll add to your training.

The course says it builds up to 90 total minutes, so without the diagnostic that's roughly 12 minutes per block.

Block 1 is just a litmus test and not a necessity to the workout, unless you have not already mastered those movements.

Block 2 and 3 as a whole will make up your workout, until you're strong enough to add Block 4 and so on

"Do all elements" means for example doing 2.1-2.6 in one workout?

Nick Roy

Yes, 2.1 through 2.6 and 3.1 through however many that block has. Test week 11 for all moves and you'll find out where you stand. The progression appears to be moving on to higher blocks, not between a single block. Each block is developing the technical movement and mobility. Then the proceeding blocks will require / develop more strength

Nick Roy

So, in layman's terms. Get comfortable with all of blocks 2 & 3 and use block 1 as a stretch and warm up as necessary.

Romulo

So once you demonstrated mastery of all elements in a block, do you keep training all of them or just the last one?

For example I don't see a reason for training 2.3 through 2.5 once you mastered all of them and can do 2.6, but the hollow rolls 2.1 and 2.2 look still useful at the long run.

Itamar sha'ashuaS
Nick Roy said:

Yes, 2.1 through 2.6 and 3.1 through however many that block has. Test week 11 for all moves and you'll find out where you stand. The progression appears to be moving on to higher blocks, not between a single block. Each block is developing the technical movement and mobility. Then the proceeding blocks will require / develop more strength

So in today's workout I'm testing week 11 of 2.1-2.6, 3.1-3.6 and 4.1-4.6, and the next workout I'm doing the same as today or working only on the progresion I've been stucked in today for each section (let's say today I mastered 3.1-3.3 and then couldn't master 3.4 at all, I'm doing only 3.4 in the next workout?)?

Also, if today I'm testing mastery for all of the blocks in each section, mastered 3.1-3.4 and couldn't do week 11 of 3.5 perfectly or not at all, do I stop there and move to test mastery of section 4 or I need to continue to test mastery for this section?

Nick Roy
Romulo said:

So once you demonstrated mastery of all elements in a block, do you keep training all of them or just the last one?

Fo example I don't see a reason for training 2.3 through 2.5 once you mastered all of them and can do 2.6, but the hollow rolls 2.1 and 2.2 look still useful at the long run.

Yea, I think that is the case as well but I'm not 100% on that part. Might want to ask coach.

Nick Roy
Itamar sha said:

So in today's workout I'm testing week 11 of 2.1-2.6, 3.1-3.6 and 4.1-4.6, and the next workout I'm doing the same as today or working only on the progresion I've been stucked in today for each section (let's say today I mastered 3.1-3.3 and then couldn't master 3.4 at all, I'm doing only 3.4 in the next workout?)?

Also, if today I'm testing mastery for all of the blocks in each section, mastered 3.1-3.4 and couldn't do week 11 of 3.5 perfectly or not at all, do I stop there and move to test mastery of section 4 or I need to continue to test mastery for this section?

If you can't complete a portion of Block 3, you should not be doing Block 4 unless it's just playing around.

And in your first example, I believe you're still doing every movement until it is all mastered within a block. Movement training based on how the course is read is getting longer each session.

Itamar sha'ashuaS
Nick Roy said:

If you can't complete a portion of Block 3, you should not be doing Block 4 unless it's just playing around.

And in your first example, I believe you're still doing every movement until it is all mastered within a block. Movement training based on how the course is read is getting longer each session.

If today I tried mastery for section 3 for example, mastered 3.1-3.4 (again- example) and couldn't master 3.5 the proper way or couldn't do it at all, I end my workout in this moment or moving to 3.6 and trying to perform mastery of it?

 

 

 

Cole Dano

You would stop at 3.5

KSTL

.

Coach Sommer
Itamar sha said:

"Do all elements" means for example doing 2.1-2.6 in one workout?

No, not necessarily.

For example, if you cannot perform 2.1 correctly, why would you move on to 2.2?

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Itamar sha'ashuaS
Coach Sommer said:

No, not necessarily.

For example, if you cannot perform 2.1 correctly, why would you move on to 2.2?

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

so it means doing the exercises you can perfectly master and if you got to one you can't master yet your using the template and then next workout doing the same mastered elements in this section with the unmastered element but moving on in the template?

Sorry if I'm unclear..

Romulo

Thank you Coach

I'm more in doubt concerning the elements already mastered. At Foundation we do the current progression and some already mastered elements just for warmup. Should we do the same or repeat all the previous elements anyway?

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

I'm pretty sure you would do this in a similar fashion to a Foundation workout. I don't think it needs to be so complicated nor convoluted. The diagnostics 1. are both a warmup and check-in with areas of the body: hamstrings, hips, shoulders, etc. My shoulders are tight, so I focus more on crab walks and lizard crawls. My hollow body could be stronger so I focus more on the inchworm. I do the other diagnostics, too, but to a lesser degree. Doing this for 5-10 minutes also warms me up for the tumbling work. 

 

I then focus on 2., 3., and 4. I stay within these elements until I've mastered ALL of them, and only then would I move on to the later elements. Coach explained this. If you don't have the requisite strength for these basic rolls, how will you manage handstands; and how in the hell can you manage to do a pirouette if you can't manage a handstand? If I can't do a pushup I'm not gonna go and try a chest roll...

 

So, first go around see what you can master in those three blocks. Once you reach an element that you don't master that's where you end up, just like with the related three blocks of progress found for each element in Foundation. 2.1 has proved challenging, so I'm sticking with this element and progressing through as I would with a foundation element. 3.1 was easy, 3.2 was at unfamiliar, so I worked on it for two workouts, but now I'm doing 3.3 and haven't mastered it, but it's where I'm staying. 4.1 and 4.2 were easy given my mastery of SLS/PE1. 4.3 has been difficult, but given my lack of sufficient mats or pads to do it from an elevated position, I've adapted the progression to be a mix of 4.3 and 4.4, however, I'm not advancing until I can do both elements perfectly (as a means to make due for the lack of resources available while also adhering to the way the course has been outlined by Coach). 

 

The later elements are later elements. I'm not working on them yet until I get these three down, as it should be for others. You could, of course, play around with the movements after your workout, as has been reiterated elsewhere, but that play wouldn't count towards any of the actual progress for the workout. This routine is fun and simple, and should be kept that way. Go roll in the grass.   

Romulo

Thank you Daniel. 

 

If we should do it in a similar fashion to a Foundation workout, then there is no need to do all the previous elements once they are mastered(unless some for warmup), right?

 

I understood about mastering previous elements before moving on, my doubt is that if we should keep doing the previous ones in the same workout. Like I said before, for example I don't see a reason for training 2.3 through 2.5 once you mastered all of them and can do 2.6. 

 

So I would just do the warmup and proceed to 2.6? In your example you said 4.1 and 4.2 were easy (as it should be for someone who mastered deck squats), so next workout you begin to train directly from 4.3  (after block 1, last mastered exercise in block 2 and block 3) or you still do 4.1 and 4.2 anyway?

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Yes, I would move on to 2.6 in that instance. For myself, I did 3.1 and 3.2 as a bit of a warm-up (since I was a bit fuzzy given celebratory libations the night before after finishing my finals on Friday) but I don't train those elements, no. I don't see a need to train them either, not if you've mastered them already.

You might throw the earlier elements in as a warm-up, if necessary, but I don't see as obligatory. I don't train 4.1 or 4.2, either. I might do a set to just warm-up the movement, but for actual training. 

DouglasMN
Romulo said:

 

I understood about mastering previous elements before moving on, my doubt is that if we should keep doing the previous ones in the same workout. Like I said before, for example I don't see a reason for training 2.3 through 2.5 once you mastered all of them and can do 2.6. 

 

The into article says, "isn't necessary to continue doing progressions you have already mastered, focus on the current progression."

Romulo
DouglasMN said:

The into article says, "isn't necessary to continue doing progressions you have already mastered, focus on the current progression."

Thank you Douglas, that was probably edited and added later, I don´t think it was there the first time I read it.

Cole Dano

Speaking in an un-offical capacity here, just use your common sense on this. It's conditioning, and also, at least for me, fun.

 

Do enough of the earlier elements that you are warm, then spend a block of time working on the one(s) you are having difficulty with.

 

You'll know if it's beyond you, because it will most likely scare the crap out of you to try.