This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Difficulties doing a hinge row

Started by Lauren, December 18, 2015 · 7 Replies · 409 Views

Lauren

Ive recently started F1/H1 but I'm unable to hinge row with glutes off the ground. I can hold suspended off the ground but cannot control the hinge movement. Im new to exercise generally and not sure if its lack of strength or incorrect body positioning or something else. Appreciate some help with this.

Cole Dano

It can take a little while to work out the movement. 

 

As a first step you can build it up with your glutes on the floor and once you've mastered that, move off the floor.

Keilani Gutierrez

agreed on all accounts.

a cue that helped me really polish the movement was think that as soon as i bent my arms, i'd bend at the waist. for every couple degrees i bent my arms, my body followed until eventually i was able to do the movement with full ROM for the mastery reps before moving on.

 

Dylan Robertson

If you're struggling with the arm movement, then doing Face Pulls can help, as it is the same movement (Retraction and External Rotation). Also doing holds in the final position of the Hinge Row can help.

347mont

From my limited experience I found positioning the hip directly under the rings helped immensely and at

 

stand up height if I adjust the height of the rings to chest (nipple) that also helped. When I first gave this

 

element a shot I wasn't hopeful at all of doing them successfully but it all came at once. Oh and be aware

 

of your elbows too, at the start I didn't have them perpendicular to the ground, I would pull down too much

 

and have them in the wrong position.

Romulo

The most useful hint I got was that the exercise resembles more of an " assisted sit-up" than a row itself. I was trying to pull my body up but you are mostly going forward and bending/hinging at your hips, so I was using more strength than necessary and the problem was merely mental(neurological?). As soon as I understood the move it was much more simple.

Lauren

Thanks everyone for responses - these are really helpful.