I have been doing these since I started GB in February. Still not sure if this is acceptable form for mastery...? This is 5th set. Too much swinging of the hips? Upper - lower arm angle not wide enough?
Thanks!!
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Started by Patrik Sch, December 14, 2015 · 17 Replies · 453 Views
I have been doing these since I started GB in February. Still not sure if this is acceptable form for mastery...? This is 5th set. Too much swinging of the hips? Upper - lower arm angle not wide enough?
Thanks!!
Thanks for looking at this Zach. I used to have the rings lower, but experienced even more swinging of the hips (legs going up and down through the rep) with that setup. Do I have to get rid of this swinging completely before mastering this PE?
Ok, that's what I suspected. I will try to stay tighter in the bottom of the rep and see if I can get rid of that hip motion.
The toes are actually just off the wall, but very very close
I just realized I can turn the other way and have my feet through the door to the next room. Probably a good idea, especially now that I lower the rings.
Thanks again!
I have been experimenting with the height of the rings and the position of the feet. Does this look good? This is the 5th set of 15 reps. Hip motion is less, but not entirely gone.
Thanks!
my biggest issue with these was simply my pike flexibility. i couldnt sit on the ground comfortably legs straight out in front with a 90 degree bend at the hips(i was close to 90 but my lower back was still quite curved while sitting). once my pike improved the rcpe1 was considerably easier. i dont know if anyone else has come to the same conclusion.
I tried getting my hips under the rings with the method you suggested, Zach. This was the best result I could get.
Too me you've gone the wrong way, your hips are now further behind the rings than in the previous video. I look at the angle of the straps at the top of the rep, in my understanding they would be close to perpendicular to the ground. Maybe I'm wrong it wouldn't be the first time.
Ryan Reynolds said:Too me you've gone the wrong way, your hips are now further behind the rings than in the previous video. I look at the angle of the straps at the top of the rep, in my understanding they would be close to perpendicular to the ground. Maybe I'm wrong it wouldn't be the first time.
I don't think I agree with this. I made a comparison of the top position in the two videos. First video is the left picture.
Ryan Reynolds said:
post-18096-0-24038500-1452963786.jpg
The way i understand it when a coach says hips under the rings the mean from the ring support to the rings to the hip should be a straight up and down.
In that case I am definitely on board
I will try to move forward instead and see what that looks like. Thanks for taking the time to respond. And for drawing a picture that even I could understand ![]()
No problem, what else do I have to do in the morning, my job?
hopefully you have room before you hit the front wall. The other thing you can clean up is the dipping up and down of your hips they need to be more or less at the same height as you hinge for mastery.
I have kept trying to get this movement right. I think it's getting better, but would really like to have someone else look at it. Seems like I have gotten better control of the hips...? How about the angle of the arms?
Thanks for any comments!
Still need to work on that hip position. You actually were hinging much better in your first video, as Zack said, all you really need to do is move back and do everything else the same.
So next time just sit with a flat back, hips directly under the rings. Pull up to the top, make sure your hips are still directly under the rings, and start your set.
No worries on how long ti takes to work anything out. This is better.
I'm not sure I'd dock you for this in this element, but I prefer to see more of a 'hinging' motion at the hips. Right now you are moving from horizontal to vertical via spinal flexion, and I'd rather see your hips actually go from horizontal to vertical with the body.
Thanks again for feedback. I see what you mean with spinal flexion. Don't know why my previous post disappeared, but here is a new one where I try to hinge more. I think I read somewhere that we should aim for APT in this movement. Is this correct? Can lack of APT be the reason I haven't been hinging enough?
That looks better overall to me.
Yes, you want APT, hip hinge is just another way of saying that. Tight hamstrings can be a limiting factor.
One small thing to work on, only once you've gotten the hip hinging tecnique down, is to prevent your hips from bobbing up and down.
Cool! I am very aware of my tight hamstrings, not getting deep enough in the Jefferson Curls for example. I have been working religously on the front split series for over 6 months now and it's getting better. I will keep going with RCPE1 until the hip hinge is solid. Now I know what to work on. I'll take a break from the video spaming and post an update when things have changed significantly. Thanks a lot for very helpful criticism!