This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

SL/PE10>iM: Bent Hurdler Hold

Started by David Birchall, December 13, 2015 · 3 Replies · 185 Views

David Birchall

I find this stretch very awkward.  

 

I feel like my hip is digging into my rib cage and stopping me from achieving the ROM shown in the video.  

 

It feels awkward because of this and I can't seem to keep my foot close to my groin and the knee of that tucked leg always lifts up as I try to extend far enough to stop my hip digging into my rib cage.

 

If I do it without the leg tucked in, I can reach further and it feels like my rib cage goes over my hip allowing me to reach the ROM shown in the video.

 

Is this simply a lack of flexibility in my obliques or am I positioned wrong?  Doing it with the leg tucked in I can't feel any stretch in my oblique but having it extended and then stretching as described above allows me to feel the stretch.

 

Sorry I'll post up a video or image tomorrow but is there anything I'm doing wrong by what I have described?  

 

 

Thanks,

David

Cole Dano

Posing a video will help. 

 

It may help to think of this as an active side arch, Rather than letting the weight just pull you down, actively lift the side arch up. And position the ribs so they don't interfere with the hips.

Kai Ewert

What is the recommended weight to use for this iM?

Kai Ewert

To answer my own question, I assume it is the weight suggested for one of the later variations of the hurdler stretch: 2.5 to 5 lb should be enough for most people"

As for the ribs crunching into the hips, I find that a moment of focus on sitting up tall/extending the spine upward just before I bend to the side completely alleviates the issue. You can also think of "lifting through both sides" (of your torso).