This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

TBs/SE3 - Elbow Hyperextension

Started by Jeremiah Foley, December 12, 2015 · 2 Replies · 166 Views

Jeremiah Foley

I've always been able to slightly hyperextend my elbows. When I go down into the supine shoulder extension, I have pain in the elbows (like everyone does at the start) with my elbows slightly hyperextended. Straightening my arms lessens the discomfort in the elbows and allows a deeper shoulder stretch. 

 

Should I continue to perform the stretch at the maximum range of the elbows and wait for them to improve, or perform the stretch with straight arms?

Itamar sha'ashuaS

If you feel pain in the elbow, don't push it more, you don't want to risk in a elbow injury. Go down until the good pain of the stretch starts to become a bad pain, go back a bit and that's where you should stay for the 90s. I have hyper extended arms that you can see in almost every thing that requires straight arms. In TBs/SE3 I know see good progress because I let my elbow to adapt to the stretch every time I'm going deeper than the last time.

Wes Tan

I would perform both variations Jeremiah.

 

I would straighten the slightly to get a deeper stretch as you describe in the shoulders but I would also perform some sets with them fully straightened, perhaps with less depth on the latter sets to control the degree of pressure on the elbows.

 

My elbows definitely don't hyperextend but I still fill a strong discomfort in my elbows when I perform these, it never hurts after and only during the stretch and I know what I can take and not to push it to far.