This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Modified order of the F1 exercises

Started by Primalisten, December 11, 2015 · 6 Replies · 343 Views

Primalisten

This question must have been asked before, but I've scrolled around and can't find anything, so here goes.

Would there be any issues with switching up the order in which you train the seven different F1 elements? 
Everything gymnastic bodies related has some thought behind it, so I can only imagine there is a though behind how the workouts are setup in F1 as well, but I still want to ask. 

If I look at the cycle examples of F1 it would have me do FL, sPL, HBP and RC on one day, and MN, SL, and SLS on the second day. 

I have worked out in this fashion instead: 
FL, SLS, RC, sPL on day one. 
HS, MN, HBP, SL on day two (incorporating the Handstands on this day).

Perhaps not a huge difference, but this way I feel that I spread out the load on my body in a better way, for example giving me more time to rest my arms and abs within the workouts as well as between the workouts. 

Can you see any issues with switching things up like this? 

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

No, there's no issue as far as I know. Though, they might say that the structuring of the workouts has been done in a way that's 'best' organized, often they suggest that if there is an element or two that is especially taxing or challenging in terms of progress to put it first in your workout. So, I don't think there's any issue with switching it up, so long as it works for you and you're progressing on the elements.

Edoardo Cagnola

What's Daniel said. Also I've read a post where Zach advised putting static holds after the other elements, since doing the opposite would interfere with your "dynamic" movements (e.g. Planche leans should be done after PPP). It made a big difference for me, both in terms of quality of form and progress in strength!

Primalisten

Thanks guys! 
So incorporating Zachs advise (via Edoardo) a workout setup could perhaps look like this:

Day 1:  RC, SLS, sPL, FL
Day 2: MN, HBP, SL, HS (I prefer to do my handstand work first for some reason (it feels right to start the day with wrist stretches etc), but being a mostly static exercise perhaps it's best to do it last)
 

Erik Rissanen

Another similar thing I have done is that if there is a specific exercise which is really taxing mentally, like say the hollow body rocks on the higher end of the tables, I might dedicate a single workout just for it. It helps me, sometimes coming on from work worn out and not really feeling for a workout. Just doing that one and getting it out of the way helps me to stick to the program, rather than starting to defer the whole workout to another day, when I might miss it again for the very same reason. A bit wimpy perhaps and probably not ideal in terms of developing work capacity, but that works for me to stick to the program, even with the stress of work life.

old dude_1969

I have also done a bit of a push/pull system form time to time to break things up for a cycle or two.

 

I usually do:

 

Day 1 - HBP, sPL, MN, HS

 

Day 2 - RC, FL, SL, SLS

 

It seems to work quite nicely.  I always keep in mind that as I advance, I will need to do some F7 workouts!

Ryan Bailey

This brings me to a larger question with scheduling and training the Foundation series.

What is the end goal with the order of the foundation elements?

Lets pretend time, work, or life is not an issue. (For the sake of discussion) because sometimes I see this determines the order or the schedule.

Is it to progress along, checking off elements here and there, and progressing at our own pace?

Is it achieving the balance and work capacity of the order of F7 found in the workout schedule, where bent arm strength is found at the end of the workout?

I am sure if I go to a seminar I would understand the big picture a little better, but I am wondering now.

My instinct is to build a work capacity early on instead of thinking how to best bias the order of things for the completion of a specific element.

(For example, yes, completing HBP PE2 and RC PE1, is taxing at the 45 minute mark of the workout, and may progress faster if given its own day, or at the beginning, but I can't help thinking about this F7 order, where it sets the stimulus for increased mitochondrial density adaptations in the beginner athlete for these elements.)

I am not sure of this answer... I am sure all forms of progress are good.

Any thoughts?