This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Help with Handstand PE1

Started by Jared Anderson, December 11, 2015 · 8 Replies · 460 Views

Jared Anderson

         Do you have any recommendations for Handstand p1 head position: In the video and picture the person's head is positioned so that his frontal bone is on the ground and getting the force, and he is still maintaining his cervical lordosis. However, I notice that when I go into the position to hold the stance, my head is positioned so that the the top of my head (my parietal bones) are on the ground and getting the force and my neck is straight so that there is not much of a cervical curve.

 

Q1:My first question is is the way I have been doing it wrong?I am guessing that the way I have been doing it is wrong. Now I want to try and do it the right way, however I do not know where to begin because when I try to do it as pictured it hurts my head and neck, I am unsure if this is because my neck and shoulders are weak?

Q2: What are some exercises to do to be able to have proper head placement for headstands and given my predicament where should I start so that I can perform the exercise correctly. 

ausswe

just shift more of the weight onto your hands so your shoulders will be burning a bit more.  that should remove the pain in the neck and will probably help with the next progression as well

Jason Dupree

From what I understand, anywhere from the hairline to the top of the head is ok. Do what feels best in that range. Too far below the hairline and it can be dangerous for the neck. Too far back and you'll roll.

chuchodani

Could you please upload a video so we could what your issue is ?

DouglasMN

I second what Jason said. I can't find the thread now, but I know that I've heard elsewhere that top of the head works fine, so that's what I went with. I came into this with zero inversion experience and also had some discomfort. I had never used my neck as a kickstand before, so it seems natural that  it would protest a little. This all cleared itself up in short order.

 

I continued to use the top of my head for PE2 and PE3 as well. My understanding is that these first few elements aren't necessarily for 'neck strength' but rather to get your shoulders and upper back firing while you're learning the full body tension necessary to stay stacked upside down.

 

Use the top of your head if that's what's comfortable, this isn't wrong. You can also take some more weight onto your arms. This will build some much-needed overhead pressing strength (and character).

traweaver

I am glad you brought this up.  I didn't take a video but posted this picture in form checks.  I have been doing headstands on the top of my head since I was a kid.  I was unsure if this is not good form and if I should work on balancing more toward the front of my head.  I tried it and it was not uncomfortable.  By the looks of my neck ... it looks to be a better position for me,

 

So, from what i read in this post... either are fine?

 

Thanks!

Tracey

post-20614-0-29615200-1453055939_thumb.j

perazzoc

and what if i can't even go to the starting position of this exercise? 

this is a mobility issue because i can't make my knees touching my elbows yet, ok I know i should work on this, but what mobility exercises gonna help me? ( i have F1 and H1 )

and for strength what should i be doing if i can't do the HS PE1 Strength?

Coach Sommer
perazzoc said:

... and for strength what should i be doing if i can't do the HS PE1 Strength? ...

 

Focus on improving your Foundation and Handstand mobility so that you are able to get into the proper positions.  Remember that while it is not acceptable to move forward with preparatory elements prior to mastery, in addition to your assigned mobility it is acceptable to include more advanced mobility elements in your training as needed.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

perazzoc

Ok coach thank you so much

I'm gonna search these more advanced mobility elements in the Foundations progressions, but how far should i search?

If i can't make my knees touch my elbows in the HS/PE1 it's mainly a hip or lower back mobility problem?