taking care of a dislocated finger

Started by Aviv, September 30, 2009 · 3 Replies · 2,574 Views

Aviv

So yesterday I dislocated my left middle finger doing a backflip. A friend pulled it back almost emidiatly( less then 10 seconds) and then I had it under cold water for a minute and after that an ice pack for probobly 45 minutes, and at home I had a cloth with viniger on it. It is thick now but the swelling has stopt. So now I have to take care of it. I know I need to rest it and I'l use warmth like coach summer says, but I was wondering if anyone has any tips that may come in use?

Also, when I do the backflip I put my hands pointing backwards, I already hurt it once before. Should I learn the backflip with my hands pionting together like with a backroll?

braindx

I would suggesting seeing an orthopedic doc. A dislocation is pretty serious, and if things did not get back in the right place or there was an avulsion and you don't know there will be problems later with functioning.

ALso, RICE (rest ice, compression,elevation)

If you are landing on your hands you should not be doing back flips. You should be working on drills focusing on setting correctly, and explosive knee contraction to turn over the flip.

Blairbob

I think when AL12 says backflip he means backflip with his hands, which should be called a backhandspring. Right?

Dislocated a finger last year and straightened it out myself. It'll never be straight again when relaxed. It is functional in all the ROM but just looks funky. So long as I can punch and grapple (left pinky), I'm not too concerned.

It's sometimes is a bit weird for false grip MU to support.

You should probably get it looked at.

Hand placement for back handspring can be either normal HS or hands turned in like back extension roll.

Aviv

Yes, I meant backhandspring :P

It's still thick, but other then that it looks normal.