This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Tips for gymnastics mat

Started by Espen Lofthus, December 10, 2015 · 21 Replies · 682 Views

Espen Lofthus

Hi,

 

There is alot of different kinds of mats out there.

 

I'm in the process of bying one and was wondering if someone has some tips regarding which type, thickness, softness and size? Since a gymnastic mat is quite costly, I want it to be a type of mat that is usable to all the progression in the Tumbling 1 series (and future movement series?).

 

I am thinking of bying a folding mat, and I can see that Orench is using a folding mat with 4 panels in some of the T1-progressions. I have also seen mats that has different softness on each side.

 

Best,

Espen Lofthus

Jennifer

As costly as it has been, a 4x8x2 inch mat has gotten a lot of use at my house.  

Kai Ewert

We have the 4ft x 8ft x 1-3/8  inch  panel mats (which I think are used in some of the videos, and are available on the link Jennifer posted) at a gym I train at and they are a great tool. One of them will probably not be large enough as your only surface for tumbling though, you need a larger area.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Holy wow, $250 for the mats? That. Is. An investment...

Jennifer
Holy wow, $250 for the mats? That. Is. An investment...

 

 

I bought it years ago, long before GB, for judo work at home.   This cheaper option at amazon didn't exist at that time but at that price I might have to buy another.     Thanks, Coach!

Andrew Mckeown

I can't afford a matt right now (not that id have any space to put it anyway). Would a grass field suffice?

Coach Sommer
Andrew Mckeown said:

I can't afford a matt right now (not that id have any space to put it anyway). Would a grass field suffice?

Yes.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Kai Ewert

The panel mats are nice and can be used for a variety of things, but if all you need is to pad your concrete or hardwood floor to a tolerable level for simple tumbling, something like this might work well - different sizes (number of tiles) available, and the tiles are interlocking so you can connect them to pad your floor nearly no matter what the layout

 

http://amzn.com/B012TWTUMU

Coach Sommer
Kai Ewert said:

The panel mats are nice and can be used for a variety of things, but if all you need is to pad your concrete or hardwood floor to a tolerable level for simple tumbling, something like this might work well - different sizes (number of tiles) available, and the tiles are interlocking so you can connect them to pad your floor nearly no matter what the layout

 

http://amzn.com/B012TWTUMU

 

Perhaps.  However these particular ones are too thin over a hard floor (concrete or wood) to provide adequate protection.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Daniel Taylor-Shaut
Andrew Mckeown said:

I can't afford a matt right now (not that id have any space to put it anyway). Would a grass field suffice?

Just watch out for clots of mud or rocks, otherwise known as a surprise upperback massage! I found that out the hard way trying on Movement for the first time. I wisely transitioned to my gym today (while not having all the mats I was able to improve with some yoga mats and aerobic steps/blocks)

Yoni

I got this one was on sale for $69.95 now it is $89.95 original price is $200.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Well, that is much different than $200, much appreciated. Gonna have to restrain myself until the new year, given holiday gift purchases, but thanks for the link.

DAMIEN DEL RUSSO

If you guys want serious budget mats, take a look at "Rigid Insulation" at Home Depot/Lowe's. These are basically 1.75" styrofoam in 4'x8' sheets for $16. They can easily cut into 2' sections (I had mine done at the store) for easy transportation and stacking (which some of the progressions require).

 

I have used mine in my gym for years, underneath a protective foam mat (http://www.homedepot.com/p/TrafficMASTER-Primary-Color-24-in-x-24-in-Square-Interlocking-Foam-Mat-4-Pack-TM1123-4/206394442), which cost about $19. This prevents deep dents from heavy heels and elbows.

 

I've gone a step further since I lift weights on this surface, so I also have 4 pieces of 1/8" wood in between the layers (http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded-Hardboard-Tempered-Common-1-8-in-x-2-ft-x-4-ft-Actual-0-125-in-x-23-75-in-x-47-75-in-7005015/202088786?MERCH=REC-_-SearchPLPHorizontal1_rr-_-NA-_-202088786-_-N), for a total cost of $24 more.

 

So this 3-layer sandwich is more than is necessary for the progressions - you can get by for less than $40 and address the height necessary for some other progressions.

 

Personally, I roll on just my carpet, but I haven't tried the more advanced progressions yet.

Cole Dano

Styrofoam is a fine base, but you will want something with some give to it when it comes time to learn the handstand rolls.

MT Nordic

another budget option, horse stall rubber mats.  generally not as padded as you might like for some elements, but makes a good base flooring for a workout area.  1/2" 4x6 ft mats at tack stores cost less than $40.  

NameLikeNoOther

My low cost Grappling mat in my Barn is 1" thick bonded foam carpet underlay, with an 18 oz. Vinyl Canvas stretched over top.  It makes a nice 24' X 24' area that I can adjust.  This is by far the cheapest way per square foot.

Cecily Fuhr

This one is on Amazon for $64.99, with free shipping - $69.95 if you want a single solid color.

Nick Ebner
On 12/12/2015 at 10:19 AM, Jonathan Kachlon said:

I got this one was on sale for $69.95 now it is $89.95 original price is $200.

Hey @Jonathan Kachlon, does the mat you suggested have the ability to connect to each other like the ones coach showed us above from Amazon? Thanks!

Nick Ebner
On 2/20/2016 at 11:38 AM, Cecily Fuhr said:

This one is on Amazon for $64.99, with free shipping - $69.95 if you want a single solid color.

@Cecily Fuhr have you used these? I need mats for my class and don't have a large budget right now. These may be perfect. Thanks!

Jonathan Kachlon

Yep, they have the ability to connect @Nick Ebner

Kai Ewert

I got the one from Amazon that Cecily linked to and it does have velcro to connect mats.

I also would say it's a good value at $65-70.