Hello!
Just a quick question on the natural leg extension exercise. This one is quite difficult for me.
What is the angle you should aim for to claim mastery? I can't really tell from the video. Is it glutes touching the feet?
Thanks in advance!
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Started by Daniel Stephan, December 9, 2015 · 11 Replies · 300 Views
Hello!
Just a quick question on the natural leg extension exercise. This one is quite difficult for me.
What is the angle you should aim for to claim mastery? I can't really tell from the video. Is it glutes touching the feet?
Thanks in advance!
I go to shoulders brushing floor with a straight body. Due to somewhat short (stumpy) legs my feet are wider than my glutes on this exercise.
Thanks for the answer, Jon!
So, all the way down to the ground? Wow, that seems quite impossible, I'm already struggling at 45 degrees mostly due to tight and weak quads I believe
Alrighty, gotta do some work then. Guess, I'll stay here for a while.
By the way, is it normal that this mobility exercise is more difficult strenght-wise than the actual PE?
Daniel Stephan said:Thanks for the answer, Jon!
So, all the way down to the ground? Wow, that seems quite impossible, I'm already struggling at 45 degrees mostly due to tight and weak quads I believe
![]()
Alrighty, gotta do some work then. Guess, I'll stay here for a while.
By the way, is it normal that this mobility exercise is more difficult strenght-wise than the actual PE?
Your individual ROM may be limited depending on your limb lengths. Minimum of 45 degrees certainly, I know some people can't get lower than this without seriously struggling with balance. Definitely one to work on long-term, I'm not saying you should spend a year here to max it out without progressing
a warmup set is sufficient, but your (eventual) aim should be head/shoulders to ground without arching to get there. And up to the end of F2, I personally found almost all the SLS im's harder than their corresponding PE's; completely normal. Some people have played with switching the order of the two; maintaining max rep / hold sets of the PE whilst building up the im slowly. Sounds productive, although I haven't done this myself.
Jon Douglas said:Your individual ROM may be limited depending on your limb lengths. Minimum of 45 degrees certainly, I know some people can't get lower than this without seriously struggling with balance. Definitely one to work on long-term, I'm not saying you should spend a year here to max it out without progressing
a warmup set is sufficient, but your (eventual) aim should be head/shoulders to ground without arching to get there. And up to the end of F2, I personally found almost all the SLS im's harder than their corresponding PE's; completely normal. Some people have played with switching the order of the two; maintaining max rep / hold sets of the PE whilst building up the im slowly. Sounds productive, although I haven't done this myself.
Wow! It hadn't occurred to me that that was the ultimate goal of natural leg extension. Now this is something else I need to keep working on as I just got to 45° and called it a day. What's the purpose of going all the way down? Building knee strength? Strengthening the quads?
Thanks a lot for the reply, that was very insightful ![]()
I will try and pass mastery working at 45 degrees and keep it in my warmup for further improvement! Thanks again!
Jon Douglas said:I go to shoulders brushing floor with a straight body. Due to somewhat short (stumpy) legs my feet are wider than my glutes on this exercise.
So your feet aren't under your glutes? I like this exercise for its zombie-raising-from-the-dead look, but getting shoulders brushing the floor is awesome! ![]()
I'll take a video on Saturday before Tumbling
been ages since I put a video up anyway
Jon Douglas said:Not perfect (work xmas party last night; don't ask) but pretty reasonable ROM. Fact is if I'm doing this somewhat hungover you talented guys should be going way above and beyond with these
Thanks very much for posting this. This is awe inspiring!
You must have really loose hip flexors. I think that's the key difference maker here. I figure when I'm 6 months into Front Split Stretch, I'll try to go further down.
~Atticus said:Thanks very much for posting this. This is awe inspiring!
You must have really loose hip flexors. I think that's the key difference maker here. I figure when I'm 6 months into Front Split Stretch, I'll try to go further down.
Mm I'm not sure about hip flexors, mine aren't anything special; I feel my first couple reps of these as a stretch just above the knee before it all loosens up
I couldn't press back up past about 45 degrees when I started, but with reasonable flexibility I didn't have much trouble lowering most of the way down.
I was doing this like the guy on the course video, with feet together, so I was only able to go down until my glutes hit my feet. I'll try to explore this new potential rom now.