This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Hypermobility in the knees

Started by Mike_B, December 8, 2015 · 2 Replies · 131 Views

Mike_B

Hi,

So I'm currently following F1, HS1 &2, Fs and Ms in the stretch series, and movement 1. Very much a beginner, and just wanting to get some advice from more experienced people about whether or not there's anything down the road I need to watch out for especially with respect to hyper mobile knees.

Just as background - I've never had a problem with my knees: played recreational ice hockey, crossfit, some Jiu Jitsu, beginner Olympic weightlifting - never any serious pain or issues. I'm told by a PT that my quads are particularly tight because they've adapted/overdeveloped to support the joint - I'm wondering if this has any implications with regard to quad mobility (I.e. If they become more flexible will this compromise the support to the joint)?

Thanks in advance for any advice - also apologies if this is in the wrong forum - wasn't sure where to put it given the reference to multiple elements/courses.

Cole Dano

You have nothing to worry about. :)

 

If you have tight and strong quads, stretching won't turn them into weak noodles. Stretching doesn't work like that. If anything it will help prevent injury down the line.

Mike_B

Hi Cole,

Thanks for this - clearly, I don't understand the underlying principles / physiology behind stretching - is there anywhere I can get a quick overview to get better knowledge?