This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Twisting Squat

Started by Luke Harris, December 7, 2015 · 8 Replies · 297 Views

Luke Harris

I have been having troubles with this movement. Mostly with getting up off the ground. Let me know if there is some additional things I can be doing to make some progress. 

 

 

wwsherwin

I'm having similar challenges with this exercise.  I can do about two very ugly versions of this off the ground and that's it.

 

Will

Ryan Bailey

I'm about where you are at Luke. Once I was able to do a 10 rep set from the ground 2 weeks ago, but only once. I train with the same step you are using to scale. I began this element months ago and seriously admire your patience and consistency. This, as you know, is not a movement to take lightly.

(Side story)

Oddly enough, this morning before breakfast, I did multiple very slow, low to the ground, stretch-like sets of the beginning elements of Tumble 1 series for about 45 minutes to an hour. I don't know why, but I just felt I needed it. I definitely felt it through the hips, knees, and torso. In the afternoon today, during foundation training, I busted out 4x10 twisting squats for the first time from the floor. Not sure if there is any correlation; but I am curious.

ausswe

can you sit on the ground cross legged with your knees close to the ground and back relatively vertical?  to me it looks like hip mobility is the main issue in your video.   I have tested this on many of my friends and with out fail every one of them who can sit cross legged comfortably on the ground can do this movement and all the friends ive tried it on with bad hip mobility who struggle to sit on the ground with their knees down and back straight cant do it. 

 

if you have the stretch series definitely work hard on the ms and maybe do some daily limbering  using things such as swivel hips im etc.

 

having your knees that high in at the start of the movement will push your body backwards.  you want your torso to move a bit forwards (at the hips)  and you want to be able to stand straight up not be pushed backwards.

Ravn

Guys, I just tried to do a twisting squat with the form shown in the video above, and it is next to impossible. You are making one simple, but crucial mistake: Too little distance between the feet.

 

Increase the distance between the feet, and pull the feet back, so the toes are below the knees. Notice how easy is to get the weight on your feet, as opposed to Luke's form above. 

 

Also, try start standing up, rather than from a dead stop on the floor, makes it easier still.

Ryan Bailey

...Increase the distance between the feet, and pull the feet back, so the toes are below the knees. Notice how easy is to get the weight on your feet, as opposed to Luke's form above. 

 

Also, try start standing up, rather than from a dead stop on the floor, makes it easier still.

So you are saying wider crossed legged position with the feet crossed farther passed each other? Ya, that makes good sense and also good advise for the first HS iM.

Ravn
Ryan Bailey said:

So you are saying wider crossed legged position with the feet crossed farther passed each other? Ya, that makes good sense and also good advise for the first HS iM.

That is indeed what I am saying  :)

Luke Harris

Wow! Thanks! That was it. Feet wider apart and having the knees down.

 

I did about 5-6 without taking a step! I am better on one side compared to the other.

 

Also, I can't sit cross-legged with my knees down for very long. 

Dora Choi
On December 7, 2015 at 0:29 AM, Mikkel Ravn said:

Increase the distance between the feet, and pull the feet back, so the toes are below the knees. Notice how easy is to get the weight on your feet, as opposed to Luke's form above.

Mikkel, thank you so much for this tip! It majorly helped me with this movement!