This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

General advice for programming around stretch series

Started by Mike_B, December 7, 2015 · 3 Replies · 302 Views

Mike_B

Hi all,

 

So I've just started on the Ms and Fs Stretch series, and I just wanted to check my understanding of how to approach this in relation to my other training.

 

I've read the front end of the course, and Coach Sommer's advice to go at the progressions slowly and carefully to avoid injury.  I also read the advice not to train those two modules on the same day, or to stretch at the beginning of a workout (I'm putting my stretch elements on their own days or at the end of a session).

 

I just wondered if there's anything else I should know about working this series - for example: should I avoid certain movements the day afterwards (e.g. box jumps, overhead squats, deadlifts etc.).  I did have some DOMs-type soreness the day after my first stretch session (which I take to be a good thing!), and wondered if this is something that I can work through carefully, or perhaps a sign that I should take a day off after my stretch days?

 

I appreciate that this will have a lot to do with my personal level of work capacity/recovery/flexibility, but just thought I'd check for any major gaps.

 

Many in advance thanks for any advice!

Chris Garay

Hi Mike,

 

It seems like you're heading in the right direction using the Stretch Courses. Being that FSs and MSs are both lower-body intensive stretch courses, it is recommended to do them on different days of the week (probably separated by a few days in between as well). Depending on how your body recovers, it is also probably best to do your lower body strength training the day before you do a hard stretch session rather than the day after.

 

Just my $.02. Listen to your body, and if it hurts, then you probably went too hard in your stretching or are not yet recovered.

 

Best,

Chris

trw

I have gotten some pretty serious DOMS from the stretch series, and while I don't like to train during the worst of it in the interest of recovery, I do like to limber through it because the soreness makes me feel a bit stiff. I find a bit of limbering also eases the soreness itself a little bit. Basically I've started limbering every day regardless in order to improve mobility, and because it just feels good.

Mike_B

Thanks both