This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

T1/2.1 - What's a rep ?

Started by john_c, December 6, 2015 · 24 Replies · 975 Views

john_c

Is it one full  360 degree roll ?

 

Or does it include the turn back in the other direction ?

 

I'm guessing the former. So in the video the athlete completes 4 reps ?

Coach Sommer

Down and back is one repetition.

 

And that is me being warm and fuzzy.  My own athletes had to go 160' in one direction (around all four sides of a gymnastics floor) and then come back 160' in the other direction.   :icon_twisted:

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

john_c

Ouch !!   Thanks Coach, 4 rolls per rep. I can see myself feeling a little seasick after 5x5 !!   :mrgreen:

Bro'
Coach Sommer said:

Down and back is one repetition.

 

And that is me being warm and fuzzy.  My own athletes had to go 160' in one direction (around all four sides of a gymnastics floor) and then come back 160' in the other direction.   :icon_twisted:

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

 

So pretty much a 100m-hollowarchroll. What was the time on that?  :lol:

Itamar sha'ashuaS

So 1 rep is: hollow-arch-hollow (to one side) -arch-hollow (rolling back to the starting side) ?

DAMIEN DEL RUSSO

My interpretation of that is face goes down, face comes up - 1 rep. That's 180 degrees plus 180 makes 360. 1 revolution = 1 rep, right?

Bro'

I think the athlete in the video does only one rep, if I understand Coach's "down and back" correctly. It seems correct when compared to his comment about his athletes basically doing 100m coupled with him going easy on us.  :lol:

ausswe

i just did  a little extra to make sure before i moved on :P

Coach Sommer

Counting down and back as a single rep is necessary to ensure that both sides of the body are strengthened equally.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Joel Savell

So at first I was thinking we should do five full reps each side , down and back, for symmetry. Coach, it seems like you're saying that the back part of the motion covers the symmetry issue, but it also seems like it would be a slightly different dynamic going from hollow-to-arch as opposed to arch-to-hollow, therefore it would be beneficial to do the full reps each direction?

If not, does it matter which side we choose to roll? Whatever side feels more natural? Alternate sides each set? Alternate side between workouts?

Itamar sha'ashuaS
Joel Savell said:

So at first I was thinking we should do five full reps each side , down and back, for symmetry. Coach, it seems like you're saying that the back part of the motion covers the symmetry issue, but it also seems like it would be a slightly different dynamic going from hollow-to-arch as opposed to arch-to-hollow, therefore it would be beneficial to do the full reps each direction?

If not, does it matter which side we choose to roll? Whatever side feels more natural? Alternate sides each set? Alternate side between workouts?

One rep is like this:

Hollow-Arch-Hollow (1/2 rep) and then Hollow-Arch-Hollow (1/2 more).

have you understood?

DAMIEN DEL RUSSO

Joel you can address those types of asymmetries by alternating which side you start on each set. It might not be exact but it's close. I do that on all exercises - sometimes I start one-arm plank with left arm, sometimes right. For the rolls, one set to my left and back, next set to my right and back. If you had a full gym you'd still alternate which direction you start. I'm a symmetry nazi ;-)

vannybute

If one cannot complete a rep of this, what should he do?

john_c
vannybute said:

If one cannot complete a rep of this, what should he do?

I have only been able to do my first T1 workout today and found the same issue. It's just a case of working on it until you can. I can go from hollow to arch but struggle getting out of the arch. I felt like an inverted beetle. I think I will be trying more specific warm ups and some foam rolling to start.

vannybute

Is there some sort of earlier progression though? What cues exist to get this movement? Thanks!

Coach Sommer
vannybute said:

If one cannot complete a rep of this, what should he do?

 

 

Work harder on F1 FL/SL/MN progressions.   ;)

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

vannybute

Okay. He can complete some slightly unclean reps, but is unsure so he'll work the progressions :)

DAMIEN DEL RUSSO

Yeah coach kind of beat me to it, but I wanted to add that T1 progressions make a lot of sense after a year of F1. I am not very far along on F1 for a year (mostly level 3s), but in terms of transitioning from kind of static to more dynamic movements, T1 clearly builds on the F1 elements.

 

The biggest difference I feel so far is that F1 feels like work while T1 feels like fun.

Mark Collins
DAMIEN DEL RUSSO said:

Yeah coach kind of beat me to it, but I wanted to add that T1 progressions make a lot of sense after a year of F1. I am not very far along on F1 for a year (mostly level 3s), but in terms of transitioning from kind of static to more dynamic movements, T1 clearly builds on the F1 elements.

 

The biggest difference I feel so far is that F1 feels like work while T1 feels like fun.

After performing T1 I can see why F1 is structured the way it is. It makes me laugh at all the questions about deck squats. When I started deck squats I did not see why they were in F1. Without them you will get nowhere in T1.

Kai Ewert

So just to clarify, "down" and "back" does not mean "face down" and "back to being on your back" but rather "roll 360 degrees one way" ("down") and then 360 degrees back the way you came ("back"), meaning the athlete in the video is performing two reps?

ausswe

I thought down and back meant face down and then onto the back as 1 rep. Otherwise you would say 1 full rotation and then back 1 full rotation or something like that.

Bro'

I think down and back means going to one spot and then coming back, meaning the athlete is doing one rep.

Coach Sommer
ausswe said:

I thought down and back meant face down and then onto the back as 1 rep. Otherwise you would say 1 full rotation and then back 1 full rotation or something like that.

You thought wrong. ;)

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

ausswe

ok so doing 2 full rotations is 1 rep?   thank god I did twice as much as i thought i needed then just in case :P

Joel Savell

Full rotations make a lot more sense, thanks Coach!   When I first looked at the exercises,  the videos weren't working on my device so I was only going by still photos and descriptions.  So I see the videos so everything makes perfect sense.

 

BTW, I completed my first T1 workout today, although I had been "greasing the groove" with the diagnostic elements for a couple weeks now. 

 

Thoughts:

 

  • I love the diagnostics!  Frogs and Gorillas are helping with hip strength and mobility problems, which I'm hoping will carry over to MN PE1, of which I have terrible ROM.
  • Felt strong with T1 2.1.  Completed mastery # of sets/reps, but my form was less than perfect (kept drifting from my starting position) so I'm assigning myself the week 9-12 block.
  • Surprisingly weak with T1 3.1, considering I just (finally) completed mastery of SLS PE1 after 8 months of working at it.  Problem might be related to my hip immobility mentioned above.  I was able to complete a few reps after many tries, so I'll be starting with week 1 for this.
  • Strong with T1 4.1, completed mastery # of set/reps. Mobility requirement felt closer than 3.1 to SLS PE1.  Will do week 9-12 block to ensure proper form.
  • It felt like more play than work, and it went rather quickly.  But man, my core was destroyed afterwards!  So bad that I painfully cramped up (middle back, right side) while carrying my tumbling mat back to it's storage spot. Probably combined with being still sore from F1 block 2 workout the day before.