This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Tuck L Sit Form Help

Started by David Birchall, December 6, 2015 · 4 Replies · 169 Views

David Birchall

I was having trouble following the cues for tuck LSit: open chest, depression.

 

I find that when trying to do it on bars (I actually use a chair), I find it difficult to keep my chest open without raising my knees higher than hip level:

 

(my arms are straight and locked btw, they just look slightly bent in the photo for some reason - always do in photos for some reason)

 

PICTURE 1

 

post-3032-0-67673900-1449359650_thumb.pn

 

And if I go knees in line with hips my chest is too closed no?:

 

PICTURE 2

 

post-3032-0-62112100-1449359816_thumb.pn

 

 

Doing these on the floor makes me feel like I am definitely open enough in chest and have to depress hard to stay off the floor.  Doing it on the floor puts me in the same position as PICTURE 1.

 

It is my understanding that PICTURE 2 is wrong and by chest open it means shoulders pulled apart by retracting the scapula thus opening the chest

 

- Which is better form?  PICTURE 1 or PICTURE 2 or am I doing this completely wrong in which case what do I need to change?

 

 - Is doing the LSit progressions on the floor acceptable for mastery?  Are there drawbacks to doing it on the floor beyond not being able to do the extensions in the later PEs from a 90deg tucked leg position and instead from a 135 deg (bent) to 180 (straight) which I assume is harder anyway?

 

 

Alessandro Mainente

It's practically impossible achieve completely open chest with knees higher than parallel. this because after parallel there is a strong involvement of the abs that flex shoulders on hips and vice versa. You are simply leaning back and this is an error. Also you are bending the arms.

the incapacity of opening the chest is due to poor retractors and tight internal rotators.

For your specific request no one of the 2 versions is correct.

David Birchall

It looks like I am bending my arms however I was comipletely locked out. I'm gonna take it again to be sure but back to my original question: does doing it on the floor force correct form? and is floor acceptable for mastery?

Alessandro Mainente

Only final L-sit position can be done on floor.

thenail001

I believe as you externally rotate your shoulders in conjunction with scapular retraction, your antecubital fossa (elbow pit) should face more forward.