This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Weighted Cossack squats

Started by Felix Schreiter, December 5, 2015 · 2 Replies · 191 Views

Felix Schreiter

Hey guys

 

I did a forum search and only found topics on weighted back squats, but my question relates specifically to weighted Cossack squats. I worked through all SLS PE elements, and revisited some of them to perfect my form. Yet when I perform the SLS SE1 strength element, I lack the flexibility to squat comfortable down to knee height, and feel a stretch in the non-working leg, right at the outside of the leg and butt. 

 

The feeling feeling of the stretch is similar to the Piriformis stretch in the straddle stretch series or the twisting squats mobility element (of SLS PE2)

 

While I am working on the stretch series to improve my flexibility to finally perform the SLS SE1 with full range of motion, I was wondering if it it is beneficial to perform Cossack squats with some weight. I saw it in some of the videos on the gymnasticbodies Facebook page and thought that it might be helpful for my straddle flexibility. It would also give me something to work on while I am improving my flexibility for the SE1 element. 

 

Thank you 

Felix

 

Alessandro Mainente

Before doing weighted cossack you should maximize the rom as follow:

-do a cossack on one side

-reach the deepest rom as possible

-lean back and sit on floor

-bend forward through hips and reach again the deepest position and move on the other leg

 

Try to minimize the momentum from the floor sit and the bend forward.

After you are welcome to add weight.

Felix Schreiter

Awesome thanks that was the answer I was looking for.