This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Advice on overall training plan

Started by Mike_B, December 5, 2015 · 9 Replies · 402 Views

Mike_B

Hi,

 

So I've now been training a while and its taken me a bit of time to get into a rhythm with the GB training, but I feel like I've now begun to understand a bit about how the programming and progressions work, and why.  

I'd be grateful for some advice on developing/consolidating my training programme, which I've summarised below

 

Current programme:

 

*F1 - 3 days per week

*HS1 - 2 days per week

*Stretch FSs - 1 day per week

 

Current stage of progression:

 

F1 = FL/PE4 - sPL/PE5 - HBP/PE3 - RC/PE1 - SL/PE4 - MN/PE2 - SLS/PE1

 

HS1 = WP/PE3 - FKP/PE1 - WR/PE2 - FTP/PE2 - HS/PE3

 

I often do my F1 and/or HS1 work at lunchtime, or at Crossfit (before a WOD/olympic lifting class if F1, afterwards if HS1.  I also make sure I have at least one day devoted mainly to playing around with things like ring dips, holds in support on the rings, false grip pull ups, handstand walking - just fun stuff :)

 

I bought Front Split stretch because I ran into big issues with hip flexor mobility/ROM in MN/PE2 of F1, and also quad tightness in getting my heels to my glutes in SLS/PE1 (I have hypermobile needs so my quads have adapted to be especially tight).

Given the above, I wondered what others might think about the following questions:

 

1) Should I work Middle Split as well, given my workout plan, background and stage of development., or wait?

 

2) Should I incorporate Tumbling/Movement, or wait?

 

3) Should I work HS2 alongside HS1, or wait?

Thanks for any comments,

Mike

***Below I've added a bit more info on my background, but didn't want to make the post too long so I put it down here where those who don't have the time/interest won't have to wade through it :)***

 

Background:

 

I got interested in GST through Crossfit - at the time I started I'd been training for strict muscle ups by focusing on false grip pullups and dips - reason was that I had a hip issue (which has now cleared up) and also my shoulder would always complain after kipping pullups (I had 10 strict pull ups before I started kipping, so might just be my left shoulder joint being weak.

 

Anyhow, I managed to get single muscle ups by throwing myself through the transition, both on a pullup bar, and on the rings, and each time my left elbow would hurt (also happened on rope climbs, after long rock climbing sessions, and if I took a slapshot in Ice hockey/roller hockey - although i rarely do either of those things anymore.

 

A friend sent me to the podcast that Coach Sommer did with Barbell Shrugged, and I started to appreciate why my progress had been sketchy, and why my elbow might be hurting.

 

Since then, I've decided to make GST my priority - I still do Crossfit (the community at our box is really good), but I do it for fun/additional challenge and am careful about the WODs I do relative to my other training and rest needs.  The coaches at my box have been very supportive and have taken an interest when I've been doing this in open gym.  

What I like about GB GST is that the rationale for the progressions, their functions and the reason for the pacing, is made very clear and helps you understand why these things are necessary.  The points about taking time to improve flexibility and connective tissue strength alongside muscular strength that I've discussed with my physiotherapist colleague  have been met with enthusiastic agreement.  

 

Basically, I found myself hitting walls in training which exposed huge gaps in my physical base, which were not only limiting but likely to be more so as I get older (I turned 30 this year).  Hopefully this programme will help my move past/through these and stay healthy while doing so.

 

korija

do you get progress on this? if so continue doing what you are doing.

Stephen Majerle

I see no reason to wait for middle splits (especially for your MN PE2 issues) or tumbling one as there are no prerequisites. You could also start H2 as press handstand should be a priority for all of us.

Mike_B

Thanks Stephen - I wondered if middle split might help

Joshua Slocum
Stephen M said:

I see no reason to wait for middle splits (especially for your MN PE2 issues) or tumbling one as there are no prerequisites. You could also start H2 as press handstand should be a priority for all of us.

Except that you should finish F2 before starting H2.

Mike_B

Joshua - thanks for this, although I'm a little surprised as the guidance I read had no prerequisites on HS2, and the advice was that we could get a head start on Press to handstand by training the SE's together with HS1.

I've just bought M1, Middle Split and HS2, but I might make use of my 30 day money back Guarentee on HS2, if it's not appropriate to train yet...

Bro'
Joshua Slocum said:

Except that you should finish F2 before starting H2.

 

That changed when H3 was released, didn't it? Numerous threads asked this and even the GB curriculum post was changed to encourage us to start H2 PEs at the same time as the H1 PEs.

Dylan Robertson

Handstand 1 is meant to be worked together with Handstand 2 PEs from the start. You can start SEs for H2 Once you have a basic Freestanding Handstand (30s), Handstand 3 PE may be worked after finishing all Handstand 1 PEs. H3 SEs may begin with a 60s Freestanding Handstand.

Foundation 2 is not required for Handstand 2 Work. Begin your Handstand Training, and work on your Straddle Flexibility with Middle Split Stretch Course.

Mike_B

Thanks all - pHS course front end confirms that HS2 preparatory elements can be trained alongside HS1, so I'll start this week.

Joshua Slocum
Mike_B said:

Joshua - thanks for this, although I'm a little surprised as the guidance I read had no prerequisites on HS2, and the advice was that we could get a head start on Press to handstand by training the SE's together with HS1.

I've just bought M1, Middle Split and HS2, but I might make use of my 30 day money back Guarentee on HS2, if it's not appropriate to train yet...

  
Bro said:

That changed when H3 was released, didn't it? Numerous threads asked this and even the GB curriculum post was changed to encourage us to start H2 PEs at the same time as the H1 PEs.

  
Dylan Robertson said:

Handstand 1 is meant to be worked together with Handstand 2 PEs from the start. You can start SEs for H2 Once you have a basic Freestanding Handstand (30s), Handstand 3 PE may be worked after finishing all Handstand 1 PEs. H3 SEs may begin with a 60s Freestanding Handstand.

Foundation 2 is not required for Handstand 2 Work. Begin your Handstand Training, and work on your Straddle Flexibility with Middle Split Stretch Course.

Yup, you guys are right, you can start H2 PE's alongside H1 PE's: https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/12862-the-gymnasticbodies-roadmap-and-curriculum/?p=198168