This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

MN/PE2 Form Check

Started by Cameron Williams (Suspect 001), December 4, 2015 · 3 Replies · 95 Views

Cameron Williams (Suspect 001)

Been working on this one for a long time, and progress seems to be very slow... Any tips/comments are appreciated.

 

 

Thanks!

 

Cam

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Me too. Work on straddle compression (closing the distance between your torso and your thighs, ideally with them touching). I've found that doing what are called 'hip extensions' or leg scales help with this, as do straddle tuck holds with a support.

 

Hip extension/leg scales: While standing, bring your upper leg or thigh of one leg up to about 45 degrees then forcefully flex the leg (tighten the teardrop vastus medialis) and point the toes, hold this position for time. Do the same thing with your leg out to the side (you only shift the leg, the knee still faces up to ceiling and the toenails face upwards), hold this position for time. Now, while holding this position bring the flexed leg to the front and then to the back without letting the leg drop, do this 'swing' for time. That's one set. I usually do one set per leg after each m-w-f workout. The goal is to eventually bring the leg up 90 degrees or higher (ninja-style), however, that won't happen right away. I have seen progress with this in only a few weeks though. I can manage about 20 seconds comfortably with my leg at about 45-60 degrees. When I first started 45 degrees were hard. 

 

Hip Extension/Standing Leg Raise/Leg Scales: https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/968-standing-leg-raise/OR https://gmb.io/scales/

 

 

Straddle Tuck Holds with a support: This is a stretch. In the MN/PE2 top position (legs straddle and as high as they'll go), grab the insides of your feet, or your ankles, whatever you can manage and pull your torso to your thighs. The key with this stretch is balancing, hence the 'support'. By support I really mean a wall, even better would be a person, but a wall works, too. Hold this stretch for time trying to maintain an upright 90-degree torso while bringing your thighs to your chest. It will be difficult and your legs will likely want to bend (as mine do). Take it easy and take your time. I do a 30-second hold before and after each set of MN/PE2.

 

Examples of this stretch by Alessandro Mainente:

Solo (without support): https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10207757022954380&set=a.1224105293594.35001.1557866822&type=3

 

With support (a partner): https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10207766009419036&set=a.1224105293594.35001.1557866822&type=3

 

Two other points are to work on pike compression in FSs (the standing single leg pike comes to mind, as it best targets the upper hamstring and glute which are vital towards increasing ROM for this movement, from my vantage point) and to get that weight up on Jefferson Curls. The gold standard is 1x bodyweight, I'm only at 60lbs. 

 

Hope, my two cents help. I'm still working on this element, too. I've found that these four tips help. It will take a while, but doing something I've never done before likely will. It's worth it at the end of the day, though. Good luck.

Alessandro Mainente

Tempo is good, more compression is needed, so for you a strong parallel work on middle split stretch series is a good idea.

Cameron Williams (Suspect 001)

Wow thanks Daniel! I appreciate the time you took to explain that all. Very helpful.

Those leg scales look good to me.

Alessandro - I've been doing the middle split series since it came out in Feb. I think I may be limited by an old knee injury, I was realizing today. I really feel a lot of tightness on the inside of my left knee when I do pancake work - far tighter than my right side. I dislocated my right knee about 15 years ago.

But I'll keep going with the pancake work!

Cheers guys!

Cam