This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Best All-Around

Started by Daniel Taylor-Shaut, December 3, 2015 · 7 Replies · 445 Views

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

For the sake of discussion, what are the best all-around integrated mobility for each area of the body? Coach recently posted on Facebook about Shoulder Dislocates being the best all-around mobility for the shoulders. I would willingly assume that the Jefferson curl might be the best all-around mobility for the spinal vertebrae going forward. Meanwhile, bridge wall walks could be the best all-around mobility for the vertebrae (in the opposite direction). 

 

These are merely suppositions that I came to after the facebook post sparked my interest. I would like to know others thoughts and as to whether a definitive list exists or whether one could be created as an eventual goal to reach towards in terms of mobility (I'm not referring to the Stretch series nor flexibility, so perhaps my approach is wrong, but I'm considering movements that could be likened to the efficacy of shoulder dislocates but for other areas of the body). Something likened to the base foundation structure of strength elements that exists all-ready. Clearly, shoulder dislocates and Jefferson curls can be progressed to include greater amounts of weight and ROM, so not sure how or what other movements might qualify under this pretense.

Dylan Robertson

Cuban Rotations would have to be in there for Rotator Cuff.

Tybalt

Straddle good morning? Pistol squat?

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

But A pistol squat is more so a strength exercise than a one geared towards mobility, no? I guess that could be a debate of semantics, I'm also not fully knowledgeable on how one might go about differentiated movements at that later stage.

Jason Dupree

I think it would be hard to narrow it down like that for hips. The shoulders are so mobile that they can go through full ROM and stretch everything in one movement. Can't think of anything like that for hips. Good ones for the spine, limbers would work, and press handstand might fall in the category you are looking for.

Alessandro Mainente

The best mobility is the movement where you need strong muscle to reach, hold and move out from the initial  and final position.

 

For the upperbody I would say weighted dislocates both prone and supine grip(until you will be capable of doing rings slow inlocate and dislocate from hang, but it is an advanced movement) and cuban press (only if the supine grip is not good).

For the spine: jefferson curl and muscle limber back and forward

for the lower body : active splits pullses from seated relaxed position.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

So, to summarize:

 

Upper Body:

- Shoulder dislocates

- Cuban press

 

Spine:

- Jefferson curl

- Muscle limbers 

 

Lower Body:

- Split pulses from sitting

 

Could there potentially be any others? I suppose, the knee and ankle series for SLS are probably good and would be about it for those joints. But what about something like Split rotations (likely very advanced), wherein you go from front split to middle split to front split in the other direction? 

dritar

I'd say both Twisting and Inside Squats are really good.