This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

MN/PE 4 and upwards free hanging instead from stall bars

Started by Christian Maschke, December 3, 2015 · 4 Replies · 168 Views

Christian Maschke

Hi there,

 

I've just moved on to MN/PE 4 in my progression. Unfortunately the gym where I train doesn't have any stall bars. So far I've been doing the leg tucks hanging freely from a bar. with the tucks this has been working fine so far if I really focus on controlling  the negative phase of the movement with core and shoulders in order to not generate swing. What I'm concerned with is that I might not be getting the same benefit from the exercise as when having your back pressed against stall bars as recommended and that I might not be able to keep up the same form (no swing) in the further progressions down the line. Any thoughts or comments on this ? Thx

David Birchall

Does your gym have a smith machine?

 

I did all the HLL progressions for mastery using the bar from a smith machine and putting an incline bench behind the bar for my upper back to rest on during repetitions.

 

I tested V to L HLLs - with an under grip which isn't even required for mastery I don't think - on real stall bars after my adult gymnastics class at a gymnastics club and could do them for reps and they felt easier than my set up with the incline bench.

 

The incline bench for the back to rest on made the exercise harder for me than actual stall bar HLLs because the bench was fairly unstable as a support compared with stall bars which are affixed solid to the wall.

 

While harder, they forced me not to swing and personally I'd say my solution is better than going just bar alone - especially if you have no mirror: very easy to cheat when you're focusing all your attention on squeezing the last few reps out keeping your legs straight.

 

Give it a go - anything solid could be used including a training partner or perhaps a barbell positioned upright leaning in a way where it won't fall over :)

 

good luck

Alessandro Mainente

Single bar gives not the same level of activation, you can use a rack and set a barbell behind the upper back.

Jon Douglas
David Birchall said:

Does your gym have a smith machine?

 

I did all the HLL progressions for mastery using the bar from a smith machine and putting an incline bench behind the bar for my upper back to rest on during repetitions.

 

I tested V to L HLLs - with an under grip which isn't even required for mastery I don't think - on real stall bars after my adult gymnastics class at a gymnastics club and could do them for reps and they felt easier than my set up with the incline bench.

 

The incline bench for the back to rest on made the exercise harder for me than actual stall bar HLLs because the bench was fairly unstable as a support compared with stall bars which are affixed solid to the wall.

 

While harder, they forced me not to swing and personally I'd say my solution is better than going just bar alone - especially if you have no mirror: very easy to cheat when you're focusing all your attention on squeezing the last few reps out keeping your legs straight.

 

Give it a go - anything solid could be used including a training partner or perhaps a barbell positioned upright leaning in a way where it won't fall over :)

 

good luck

 

That's interesting. Instability just keeps cropping up as a potential source of more activation. I wonder about using something like a plank which wouldn't take much to topple it over, so you need to actively avoid pressing back against the bar or anything; have to keep your body in a straight line. Maybe something to play with a bit later...

Shellberight

I don't need stall bars for my current exercises but was also thinking of getting a plank for later. I'd fix it to the bar (in front or behind, don't know yet) with a string from the top and use two heavy hexagonal dumbbells to stop the bottom from moving. I'd ask to store the plank at my gym.