This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

SL/PE2

Started by Daniel Taylor-Shaut, December 2, 2015 · 11 Replies · 94 Views

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Here are my last two sets from today. They feel easy at this point, not sure if there's more to be done or if they're at mastery. Thanks

 

 

Cole Dano

I'd like to see you have a straight body line, right now you are in a side arch. 

 

Doing it in side rich has a knock on effect of piking on the way down, i.e. butt sticks out at the bottom of the rep.

 

The other detail is not to over stretch the elbow back at the top of the rep.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Drat! Okay, guess there's work to be done still. Thought I had these in the bag, but will work on body line.

Cole Dano

It won't be a hard fix for you.

Ryan Bailey

Nice work. Looks like PE3 soon!

On a side note, I noticed someone else on the internet doing this movement where the hips completely rotated with the trunk. That's completely not what we want correct?

Daniel has the right idea from what I have seen.

Cole Dano

Actually you do want the hips to rotate with you on this one.

 

Straight body.

 

Twist from the trunk, keeping a straight body.

 

Finish the movement by rotating from the hips.

 

You will find that doing it this way is more taxing for the obliques.

 

The key is keeping a straight body line.

 

 You will not be able to twist all the way to the floor without piking. Do NOT pike.

Ryan Bailey
Cole Dano said:

Actually you do want the hips to rotate with you on this one.

 

Straight body.

 

Twist from the trunk, keeping a straight body.

 

Finish the movement by rotating from the hips.

 

You will find that doing it this way is more taxing for the obliques.

 

The key is keeping a straight body line.

 

 You will not be able to twist all the way to the floor without piking. Do NOT pike.

So at the bottom, it should look like a bent, one arm plank? I thought we want to ring out the lower spine into the hips as we try and keep the hips as verticle as possible?

Cole Dano

Look at the demo video, hips won't rotate all the way, but they do rotate.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

So, basically, minimize the hip movement to the best you can; no arching between the shoulder and hip; twist the torso; lead with the chest while the bent arm stays in line with the ear and the scapula on the side of the bent arm stays retracted. Correct?

Ryan Bailey
Cole Dano said:

Look at the demo video, hips won't rotate all the way, but they do rotate.

Got it. Thanks, Cole.

Sorry Daniel, hope this discussion is ok on your form check post.

I was refering earlier, to a video I saw of someone else where the trunk did not rotate much at all; only spinning on the feet and the shoulder basically.

What you described completely makes sense, Cole.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

No, it's fine. I'm always interested in the finer points. Sometimes I wish there were more specific body cues for each progression. But that would take the fun out of the process of trying to understand how one's own body moves through space. 

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

So, on this one the hips just have to stay in line (no arch and no pike) with the upper body and they're allowed to rotate minimally as the torso twists to touch the ground with the elbow? I found that doing it this way without the piking/arching hip was actually much, much easier than arching the side. So, if I'm right in that thinking that's refreshing.