band-assisted wrist push-ps

Started by Ryan Libke, September 28, 2009 · 5 Replies · 2,656 Views

Ryan Libke

I have struggled with completing the wrist push-ups advocated by Coach Summer, even when I attempted to execute the movement from my knees. So, having at hand my trusted stretch band, which in my case is a old bike-tire tube, I wrapped it around my chest after having secured it above to provide for considerable pull. I then was able to execute the movement in the form depicted on the video featured in the video library and referenced on the "Wrist Endurance" sticky. I am hoping to eventually lesson the amount of pull, and be able to do the push-ups without resistence. This method is worth a try if pushing up seemed impossible from the bent wrist position; it is actually very possible with just a little bit of help.

I experimented with a couple of anchors, but the easiest way to set up the band (or tire) by looping it around the bottom of a ring. This way, it can be raised or lowered with the ring buckle, to the right level and the right amount of pull. I eventually found a piece of foam to stick between the tube and my chest, as the tube tightened a bit and was uncomfortable around the torso without some padding.

Blairbob

Use a wall or elevate your hands to take off the percentage of weight (putting your hands on a dining table/kitchen counter).

Ryan Libke

I'll give that a go, too. Still, anytime I can use my bike tire tube to make myself feel stronger... :?

Ryan Libke

Tried the elevated wrist push-ups last night, worked great.

Blairbob

Bike tubes like to slip and whack you. Watch out.

Joshua Naterman

Ouch :P

I found that starting with my feet on the ground and my hands on the couch worked really well! Then I just started elevating my feet so I would be closer to being flat! You know, stack schoolbooks up and put my feet on them. 'Bout time those things came in handy!