This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

SL/PE4 & iM

Started by Mike_B, December 1, 2015 · 7 Replies · 149 Views

Mike_B

Hey,

 

Another form video from me - back extensions are always one of my least favorite exercises - I did the initial weeks of this on a back extension machine that didn't allow me to get to horizontal - then found a GHD and things got a lot more challenging.

Read some points on other videos about trying to keep the elbows back, make sure to look up to fully extend the necks, and try and get the chest vertical at the bottom.

 

Thanks again for any feedback.

 

 

Mike_B

Thanks Zach - looking again, I did think this - some reps where I did get this I think I anchored them by locking the tops of my feet in the supports - I'll concentrate on this over the next few weeks.

Mike_B

Had another go today - greatly reduced ROM when keeping the legs locked but managed to do this consistently over 8 reps.

Cole Dano

That sounds correct, the ROM will feel less, but in your original video most of it was coming from allowing the knees to bend, which isn't the purpose of this exercise. The actual ROM of the spine and the pelvis, relative to the femur is all that counts here.

Mike_B

Thanks Cole - noticed some minor DOMs today in the smaller muscles in lower and mid back that wasn't there before, so I think I'm probably moving in the right direction.

Mike_B

Hi all,

 

So I've tried working on keeping my knees straight, and the results are below - hope I'm going in the right direction!

 

Cole Dano

Much better! Now just make it less explosive so you have to really 'pull' yourself up there.

Young Chan Park
On 10 December 2015 at 0:05 PM, Mike Bracher said:

Thanks Cole - noticed some minor DOMs today in the smaller muscles in lower and mid back that wasn't there before, so I think I'm probably moving in the right direction.

 

On 24 January 2016 at 8:11 PM, Cole Dano said:

Much better! Now just make it less explosive so you have to really 'pull' yourself up there.

 

On 1 December 2015 at 6:56 PM, Zach Armijo said:

iM looks ok. As long as you are feeling a deep stretch in the obliques, you are good. You can intensify the stretch by trying to keep the bicep pressed to the ear and reaching over head.

 

On the PE: you need to think of using your legs as an anchor point, and not a point of assistance. To avoid this, keep constant tension in the legs, just enough to keep you anchored, and use more control from your lower back to complete the element. You can see at every point where your legs are slack, then tense, then slack again. 

Sorry for quoting so many people.

 

I'm just starting this element and wondered what a suitable weight range is for the iM :P

 

Thanks :D