This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Pain in one hand from shoulder dislocates

Started by wamarler, November 30, 2015 · 2 Replies · 105 Views

wamarler

I'm working on increasing my shoulder dislocate mobility. I'm about 2 hands widths wider than shoulder width, and working with 5lbs + the wooden dowel. I've decreased my hand width approximately 2" over the past 3 months. 

 

At the end of the ROM, when the dowel touches my glutes, I feel pressure (not pain) in my left hand -- in the middle-ish of my hand, near where the 3rd metacarpal meets the capitate. When I finish the set of 5, and relax my hand, I'll feel sharp, stabbing, "warning sign" pains in my hand near where the capitate & trapezoid bones meet, that disappear almost immediately. If I massage my hand, I cannot reliably make this pain come back. If I manipulate my hand and finger positions I can sometimes bring the pain back. This is only in the left hand. After the workout, and for the rest of the day my left hand will feel more fatigued than my right, but it will not feel "pain" or "sore" per se, and I cannot reproduce the sharp pains I was feeling.

 

What's going on here? It seems to me it's pressure on the bones in the hand from the dowel, but what it is about the dislocate that's causing that particular pressure isn't clear to me (nor why this happens asymmetrically). What's the right way to proceed? Relax my grip? (I'm not maintaining a death grip, but I'm focusing on "firm," with all 4 fingers & thumb engaged, throughout the entire dislocate ROM). Widen my hand width? That doesn't seem to matter (it actually feels like there's more pressure at wider widths, maybe because of the more acute angle between wrist and forearm at wider widths). Stay at this hand width, but decrease the dislocate ROM don't bring the dowel quite all the way to my glutes?

 

Thanks

Keilani Gutierrez

is there any of the wrist PE's that also make this feeling pop up?

have you any video of how you do the dislocates?

for the sake of having a more thorough stretch, i started doing the wrist stretches doing one hand at a time so i could focus on tight spots. there's ways to supercharge the stretches. I personally like the fingers back and the last wrist stretch done with some contractions for dislocates.

give that a try and post up a video if you can

wamarler

None of the wrist PE's reproduce this pain, nor any of the wrist stretches (nor pushups, rope-climb progressions, or MN progression work on stall bars). 

 

I will post a video next time I do them (usual HS day is Weds).