This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

MN/PE2

Started by Shellberight, November 29, 2015 · 22 Replies · 507 Views

Shellberight

After reading some recent posts I've changed the way I do these. How's my form and tempo?

https://youtu.be/1oG8zRzujDs

Cole Dano

You're moving in the right direction. The main milestone you're looking for is enough compression to be able to get the palm to the floor.

 

Your legs are nice and high, so now it's a matter of getting your trunk up more.

 

I'd also like to see some attempt at pointing your toes. One thing about this that folks don't understand at first is it actually makes it easier. It takes less flexibility and also makes lifting the legs stronger.

Shellberight

Hi Cole

 

Palm(s) to the floor. That makes sense. First time I've seen anyone bring that up. I'll work towards it.

 

Most of the time I actually try to point the toes but usually mess it up because I have trouble moving my lower leg up (straight knees) and instep down (pointed toes) at the same time. I think It's just a co-ordination issue that I need to resolve. Sometimes I also forget to even try.

 

Thanks!

Shellberight

Is it reasonable to aspire to more compression than here until I can improve my pancake flexibility? I can keep my face to the floor but not chest and stomach yet.

Is there improvement from last time? Can't get full palm to touch yet and I know I need to improve toe pointing.

https://youtu.be/p_yaG8w7oC4

Cole Dano

Video unavailable.

Shellberight

Sorry about that; it's available now.

Which assistance exercises would you recommend in my case?

https://youtu.be/p_yaG8w7oC4

Cole Dano

Better for sure.

 

This has worked well in my groups:

 

We use stall bars and  a couple of straps, use you imagination to adapt to your situation.

 

Place the straps at about waist height.

 

Putting your feet on the stall bars, set up like you are at the top of the Straddle Up. Grab the straps and pull your torso more upright.

 

Without leaning further back or slouching, try to bring your feet off the bars. 

Shellberight

While we are on the topic of MN PE2, I thought I'd pitch in.

 

Recently I've tried to work towards getting palms to floor according to Cole's advise. I'm not there yet but can get the full length of my fingers and a bit more to touch. However, although I'm a bit more upright my legs are also lower (about head height) compared to previously posted form. What I'm wondering is whether this is progress or whether the previous form was better. Or does it even matter if the degree of compression is similar in both?

 

https://youtu.be/E41pcd4u9l4

 

Also, is the milestone palms-to-floor what is required for mastery, or is mastery form slightly more or less? If it's less, how far off am I (let's say in terms of degrees between torso and thighs, now about 80-85 degrees)?.

 

Even if I progress before reaching that milestone I'll still continue training straddle ups until I do but with less weekly volume. Same goes for the iM.

Shellberight

Here's a palms to floor version. I'd appreciate it if someone could comment on my current level of leg height/compression - if it's short of mastery rom, how much more is needed. I started a topic on this in the F1 forum.

 

https://youtu.be/fOlUydIohyg

Cole Dano

Argh, I didn't add that your legs were good in the first video and shouldn't change! You found the loophole.

 

What we want is a combination of the first video legs and second video body position.

 

The real point of palms to the floor is to get your body up. I may wind up being fingertips and thumb or whatever, but body up.

Shellberight

Understood, Cole. That's a relief. The second version is harder on the hip flexors so I'll keep training that way too. At first I wasn't able to do them at all but after I got the pancake head to floor and a bit beyond they were suddenly possible. Does mastery rom require hips/chest to floor pancake?

Cole Dano

The second version, with out the sit up is also a GST exercise, and it just might rear it's head later in the courses ;)

Shellberight

So maybe train F1 sets with fingers or more to floor (depending on flexibility or whatever) with the sit up and supplement them with palms down leg raises?

Cole Dano

Just do the Straddle Ups, no need to over-complicate things.

Shellberight

Alright. As for the minimum degree of compression needed for mastery rom I now understand it's legs at about 45 degrees with a vertical torso. Thanks for the continued support!

Shellberight

Latest set attached. Some variability in execution but how are they now in general?

 

https://youtu.be/joRrYDrHf-0

Cole Dano

Much improved! That's what I was looking for. Go back and compare to your original post; good job!

 

Now it's time to add toe point and tight knees.

Shellberight

Thanks Cole, good to hear they just need those finishing touches now. I'll work on that.

Shellberight

I tried hard to keep straight legs and point the toes. Does this pass as mastery form?

https://youtu.be/g3eGUesegDM

Shellberight

Bump

Cole Dano

Close enough for government work. I'd like you to work more on that toe point, but the basics are in line.

Keep in warm up for a while though, and let's see what happens with the V-Ups.

Shellberight

Good to hear that, Cole! Big country, big tolerances?

 

Seriously though, this one's a keeper for me (I'll keep building up the Jeffersons too). I'll strive to one day emulate what we see in the course video.

 

I don't do PEs as warm-ups but I always max out my pancake and pike before doing straddle ups. I'll just do extra work with selected PEs and iMs.

 

Still haven't mastered this one but it won't take long now. Thanks for the many helpful comments.

Cole Dano

Sounds like you have a great plan, keep up the good work! :)