Finally decided to build my own stall bars. Started last night but I am not done yet.
(2) 2x8x8 ($10) for my uprights (used 8 inches since I had to cut in on the bottom to fit on my garage wall)
(12) 1.5" dowels (poplar 48" from Lowes, $75. Will cut it down to 38", 48" was cheaper than buying 36")
(1) 1 1/2" spade drill bit, bought one from Ebay for $3.5. The holes I drilled are an inch deep.
(1) 2x4x8 ($3). The 2x4 will be secured to the back side of the stall bars in two places and then secured to the garage wall by 5/16x3' lag screws.
(1) Box of 4" wood screws ($6) which will hold the dowels from turning in addition to wood glue in the holes. Had to buy long screws since my uprights are 8 inches wide. I ll probably use a small sized spade drill bit to drill in so the screw can go all the way through the dowel. If I leave it as is, the screws wont go all the way through the dowel.
Additionally, will be using L brackets ($3 each), 5/16x2" lug nuts (L brackets to uprights), and 5/16x2 lag screws (L bracket to 2x4) to secure it. Spent about $13 in screws but this depends on what you want to use and what you have laying around the house. I am 6'1" and about 190-195 pounds. I think this will be sufficient for my weight.
I am thinking of attaching a piece of 2x8 that is about 10 inches long on the top of the uprights for the last dowel so I can off-set the last hole about 2.5-4 inches. Will post more pics once I am done. Probably later in the week.
And now to my question... does anybody know what stain I can use on the dowels? Currently, the dowels are smooth and seem very slippery. I think with the right stain on the dowels, the grip could be improved.
Thanks for any advice on the stain or any other tips on the stall bars.