This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

F7 - 3days Workout

Started by Costas Karakatsanis, November 19, 2015 · 6 Replies · 338 Views

Costas Karakatsanis

Hello to All,

 

I have read a lot of discussion about workout frequency. So far, I have not seen anybody mentioning the F7 3days workouts per week schedule. My understanding is that since F1 main focus is much more on volume and building work capacity, rather than strength and power, you can build volume capacity through doing more workouts per week.

 

I know that rest is important, but using my Army service as an example, where I was doing lots of pushups everyday,  my pushup capacity exploded in a very short period of time. This happened to everyone, fit or not fit. I feel that when the goal is 5*60 secs, ot 5*15 reps then it seems that an F7 3days workout to be more appropriate than the split Foundation 3 or 4 days workout.

 

So the question is, has anyone used succesfully the F7 3days workout?

 

Thanks

 

 

 

Ryan Bailey
Costas Karakatsanis said:

Hello to All,

 

I have read a lot of discussion about workout frequency. So far, I have not seen anybody mentioning the F7 3days workouts per week schedule. My understanding is that since F1 main focus is much more on volume and building work capacity, rather than strength and power, you can build volume capacity through doing more workouts per week.

 

I know that rest is important, but using my Army service as an example, where I was doing lots of pushups everyday,  my pushup capacity exploded in a very short period of time. This happened to everyone, fit or not fit. I feel that when the goal is 5*60 secs, ot 5*15 reps then it seems that an F7 3days workout to be more appropriate than the split Foundation 3 or 4 days workout.

 

So the question is, has anyone used succesfully the F7 3days workout?

 

Thanks

Yes. It worked ok for me the first 3 months although I started in early blocs so initially it did not take very long. Now working mainly 2nd and 3rd blocs, doing F7 3x/wk, I am noticing much improved work capacity (usually takes 52 - 60 minutes). For me, my body simply needs the work and the practice of all the elements and it feels incredible afterwords.

On a side note, a while back in July, I decided to add the 3 stretch courses and it was very hard. I took a 3 month period to aclimate to 3 stretch courses per week. During this 3 month transition period, I used modified foundation 1 to the 4 day split of (F4/F3 template ect).

Now it is all consolidated F7 3x/wk, 3 stretch, 3 HS/3pHS.

Ryan

vinca_minor

Go for it if you have the recovery capacity for it. I tried it for a couple of weeks at the beginning, but fairly quickly ran out of steam.

trw

You can always try it for a cycle. I think the reason you don't hear about it much is because it sounds exhausting. Recovery is equally as important as training. I doubt I'd be able to maintain enthusiasm or vigor throughout the week nevermind over months of F7x3, but everyone's different. You can also try a split Fa/b repeating each day three times but that leaves only one true rest day.

Vytautas Pilkauskas

I have a question about work capacity too. Doing F7 on Mon and Thu and HS on Tue and Fri is by all means good to me. I feel great after workouts and I eat like a mad man after. I can usually do F7 and HS in one session and feel great the day after, if I do HS on separate days - fine. But there's 3 days from Thu to Mon and sometimes I start to feel DOMS after Mondays' session and it gets harder to adapt to increased volume or intensity, especially if it is 3rd week of a micro-cycle, more especially if it is 11th week. Either way, regardless of the week I'm in, in the past DOMS didn't even exist unless I took a longer break (like 5 - 7 days).

After workout I still have plenty of energy to do some pull ups and dips (I'm still in F1), half hanging leg lifts, squats, etc. One day I could even do a single set of 50 seconds chin hang and 10 dips right after my F7 work. The next day I feel recovered if nothing interupted to get adequate level of food and water intake. I respond to split days not a lot but better in terms of recovery than 2x/wk of F7 and HS but I just don't like split days that much and as I mentioned, I feel great after a whole F7 session, a little bit tired whereas after F4/3 split I don't feel tired at all. How can I handle this? Maybe 6 days split until I don't get tired after and then go for 3xF7?

Jon Douglas
Costas Karakatsanis said:

Hello to All,

 

I have read a lot of discussion about workout frequency. So far, I have not seen anybody mentioning the F7 3days workouts per week schedule. My understanding is that since F1 main focus is much more on volume and building work capacity, rather than strength and power, you can build volume capacity through doing more workouts per week.

 

I know that rest is important, but using my Army service as an example, where I was doing lots of pushups everyday,  my pushup capacity exploded in a very short period of time. This happened to everyone, fit or not fit. I feel that when the goal is 5*60 secs, ot 5*15 reps then it seems that an F7 3days workout to be more appropriate than the split Foundation 3 or 4 days workout.

 

So the question is, has anyone used succesfully the F7 3days workout?

 

Thanks

 

Actually I've used this schedule quite a bit :) I just wasn't writing about it much.It built me a good base of endurance but given my positive response to a drop in volume to total 2x each element / week, I guess I wasn't ready for that much volume and repetition of same exercises. It is also a bit of a mental grind at points where the reps get reasonably high. There is a big difference between improving on str-end or end elements like pushups with training separated by 2 days and trying to improve on F2/F3 material on that schedule. I can't say it was the best for strength for me personally at that stage. Of course this situation may be different as I have advanced since then.Just be sure to monitor progress and mke changes as needed :) you may, for example, be able to put in hours and hours of F1 material then need to drop to a split to make progress as you advance.

ausswe

i used this for f1 because mostly it was just mobility holding me back and it was more about building work capacity not so much strength as i move through f2 i generally stick to f7 2x per week but i also rock climb a couple times a week