This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Dead Hangs for PE1 iM

Started by Jason Dupree, November 18, 2015 · 7 Replies · 457 Views

Jason Dupree

As I continue to refine shoulder flexion, I've found dead hangs to be invaluable. Specifically, from stall bars or similar subsitute. I actually got the inspiration from Physicality GST (thanks Chris), as I have no stall bars but the set up on the left.

https://m.facebook.com/physicalityGST/photos/a.1000923429969905.1073741828.981559195239662/1004272736301641/?type=3&source=54

The key is to try to sink low enough to make your shoulders into ear muffs, and get the whole back in contact with the support, especially lower back with PPT. The Lats and chest get a tasty stretch out of this. Hang out there for a minute or so as part of your warm up for HS workouts, it really helps with those pesky flexion iMs.

Hope this helps those who are struggling with iM1 :)

Ryan Bailey
Jason Dupree said:

As I continue to refine shoulder flexion, I've found dead hangs to be invaluable. Specifically, from stall bars or similar subsitute. I actually got the inspiration from Physicality GST (thanks Chris), as I have no stall bars but the set up on the left.

https://m.facebook.com/physicalityGST/photos/a.1000923429969905.1073741828.981559195239662/1004272736301641/?type=3&source=54

The key is to try to sink low enough to make your shoulders into ear muffs, and get the whole back in contact with the support, especially lower back with PPT. The Lats and chest get a tasty stretch out of this. Hang out there for a minute or so as part of your warm up for HS workouts, it really helps with those pesky flexion iMs.

Hope this helps those who are struggling with iM1 :)

Great idea Jason. I wanted to also thank you, personally for giving me quality feedback and tips this month. It has been helping with my HS PE1 iM struggles.

Thanks again,

Ryan

Chris Garay

I'm glad that you were able to make sure of the stall bar substitute Jason! This is something that Orench has pointed out during GB seminars in the past: for guys with tight shoulders (lats, pecs, biceps, etc.), simply hanging from the stall bars can do wonders to help increase their shoulder flexion. Focus on hanging with a "handstand body line" as well to help refine your alignment.

 

Best,

Chris

Alexander Egebak

Tried this on stall bars and I am having a great pec stretch, lats fine whatsoever.

 

But my forearms are uncomfortable because they are grinding on the lower bars.

 

Any ideas as for dealing with this issue?

Stephen Majerle

You can drape a padding of some kind over the bars, like a yoga mat for example.

Jason Dupree
Alexander Egebak said:

Tried this on stall bars and I am having a great pec stretch, lats fine whatsoever.

 

But my forearms are uncomfortable because they are grinding on the lower bars.

 

Any ideas as for dealing with this issue?

My Lats only feel it with full PPT (remember they attach at the hip) though yours may not be tight.

The substitute set up might actually be better in this case, but Stephens suggestion sounds good.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Throwing this in the mix for sure. Thanks. 

Mark Collins

This feels great on the stall bars. Especially with the PPT.