This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Emphasizing Quality in Training - Form Check Implementation

Started by jeremyfrias, November 17, 2015 · 2 Replies · 158 Views

jeremyfrias

Hello friends,

 

My question today is about how to approach form checks; when, how often, and how to implement feedback. From a gymnasticsbodies article on habits: 

 

"The GymnasticBodies courses — particularly the video demonstrations — are meant to be actively studied. Without an experienced coach beside you, this diligence is the only way to maximize your training. The students who glance at an exercise and blindly mimic it are those who often find themselves stuck when it comes time to test for mastery."

 

As I recently restarted my foundation training, I wanted to make sure to exercise due diligence and ask for feedback on my form for each element before considering it "mastered" and proceeding to the next progression. I recorded at least a set per element (5th set if possible) for my first sessions and posted form checks.

 

I received helpful feedback, however I am at a loss for how to efficiently incorporate posting form checks and implementing feedback.

 

Recording at every session and posting up to 16 form checks per week would excessive and unwieldy (for both myself and other forum users). I also find that, when it comes time to start my next session, trying to remember or check to see what form corrections to implement takes away from the actual conditioning.

 

Some ideas:

 

Perhaps I want to engage in a separate "form check" recording session? Then I can implement feedback, record, respond, and repeat until my form is acceptable (or I identify ROM or strength deficiencies to work on)?

 

A question with this approach, however: do I continue to work reps of exercises as usual according to my schedule even though I may not be executing them properly? This seems counter to a quality first approach to training. What do I do during my training sessions until I adequately learn an exercise?

 

Does anyone have suggestions for how to navigate this (aside from attending a seminar or finding someone in person, which I'm also working on)?

 

Any thoughts or strategies that have worked for you would be much appreciated!

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Do form checks whenever you please but as a best practice. For your final set on your third week of exercise (when one would logically test for mastery), record yourself with whatever setup is easiest. You want all of your sets to be concurrent, so as to engage work capacity and endurance, so it is likely best to have your video setup ready-to-go or to be easily setup before you record yourself. Then upload it online and click the video's link once it's published and copy and paste that in a new topic in the appropriate forum. If you're not testing for mastery, feel free to upload a video whenever's best as it will offer you feedback to fix things before testing for mastery.

vinca_minor

... and in a lot of cases, you can just look at your own form check, and see how it matches or doesn't match the video.