This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

weight training

Started by Chazmith, November 17, 2015 · 5 Replies · 316 Views

Chazmith

So I read on here a bunch of advise that suggests we do not partake in a weight training program in congruence with this program. I am having a major concern though... any insight or anyone further along that can put my mind at ease? I am afraid that without traditional strength training - that my booty (and the rest of me - but especially my legs & butt)  is going to get smaller and weaker and softer :( I don't want all my previous past efforts to be lost from not weight lifting any longer...and while it seems that my upper body will get an ok amount of work, it also seems the work load for lower body is far less... and because I am seriously starting at the very beginning I am concerned it all won't be enough to keep my body lean & tight. Thoughts? Experiences? 

Edoardo Cagnola

Put it on maintainence mode. Train squats/ maybe deadlift once a week, but nothing too heavy. Again, just work to maintain your current level of strength. Weight training can be incorporated after F2, as Coach says. I'm against giving up what you love, just be smart about it:)

Wolf with one Ear

When I started the Foundation program, I had decent leg strength from weight training (squats, deadlifts, etc) and other activities.  I also had good mobility in my hips and legs.  As a result, I was able to move through the SLS series more quickly than any other element.  I was also able to maintain other leg work, as I could handle more volume.  Regardless, I did not still do much weight training, such as back squats, while moving through SLS.  I did not experience any noticeable atrophy, but could not maintain the same top numbers on back or front squats as when they were trained twice a week.   This was not significant, especially when I am not competing in power lifting or Olympic weightlifting or any other sport in which I must maintain certain numbers.  

 

Having worked up to the last progression on the SLS, I am adding back in back squats once a week, after SLS work.  So, for instance, I do 4X5 on the lunges, with the mobility work, and then complete my Manna progression, and then SL, before doing a 4X10 on back squats and other supplemental leg work.  So far this is working well for me.  I then do some BW squats or something similar to wind things up, and do additional mobility work.  This adds some workable volume and allows me to address some specific abilities.  I am doing a lot of jumping in ballet class (and then some- I have never jumped so much in all my life), so I am using that instead of jumps or plyos, or even olympic training right now.  I love olympic type movements, but I just don't have the time or capacity right now with everything else.

 

So, depending on your training age and relative development and strength and mobility, there may be some room for additional work, but the current progression is always the focus and goal.  If supplementary work bars progression, it should be omitted for now.  

Edoardo Cagnola

Great post! What about deadlifts? Have you reincorporate them? I haven't deadlift in 1.5 year, but I'm looking forward to start doing it again as I master SLS. I'm asking because I know DL can be pretty tough on the CNS. I miss picking heavy barbells off the floors! That's actually the only "weight training" exercise I've been looking forward to come back to. They are so much fun! I'm also curious to see the carryover from all those SL elements and JC.

Wolf with one Ear

As to deadlifts, I have not added them back, for several reasons.  Right now, the addition of the back squats is as much as I want to do after the SLS exercise.  The SLS still taxes me, and I will continue to do it until it feels less taxing and the pacing is quicker.  With the back squats, I can do them at a lighter weight at a higher amount of reps.  With deadlifts, I have never really liked doing higher reps, like 10 at a set.  I feel the higher rep exercise after a lower rep exercise gives the legs a little something different.  

 

It is also one of those situations where there are too many good and effective exercises that could be done, and I need to select only one or two.  That is, I am not doing deadlifts because they are not a good exercise, but more because there are other ones I favor now, for various reasons.  The backside, as it were, is also getting a lot of work in Foundation where I am at, and squats have the reputation as a good general purpose lower body strength developer that has more carry over to other pursuits.  

 

As for lifting stuff off the ground, I hear you.  I seem to get a lot of volume of picking up stuff off the floor at home, being the father of two kids, and owner of three dogs.  As it is, my son is doing wrestling this season, and we are doing some practice at home, and will do some "buddy" lifts with him.  This may become more difficult, as he will become larger than I am soon.  

 

If you like doing deadlifts, though, I can't see any reason why that can't be done once and while, and a reasonable weight, after Foundation work, presuming reasonable progression already and pre-existing strength training.  Max effort stuff may be hard to do.  

Mark Collins
Chazmith said:

So I read on here a bunch of advise that suggests we do not partake in a weight training program in congruence with this program. I am having a major concern though... any insight or anyone further along that can put my mind at ease? I am afraid that without traditional strength training - that my booty (and the rest of me - but especially my legs & butt)  is going to get smaller and weaker and softer :( I don't want all my previous past efforts to be lost from not weight lifting any longer...and while it seems that my upper body will get an ok amount of work, it also seems the work load for lower body is far less... and because I am seriously starting at the very beginning I am concerned it all won't be enough to keep my body lean & tight. Thoughts? Experiences?

What level for SLS are you?